Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 
AngesRadieux

Skittish Betta?

So, my lovely Mozart and Brahms have been quite skittish lately. I don't think they're sick because they're both eating. Sometimes Mozart requires a bit of coaxing because he doesn't want to come out of hiding to eat, but once I get him interested in the food he eats just fine. But I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make them feel more secure in their homes.

Brahms is my lovely orange dalmatian delta tail and he lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater but no filter. A few days ago I put in some plants (my first stab at growing real plants...), but he's still pretty skittish. However, that may be because the plants were just added and aren't big enough to provide enough cover for him? I was thinking of adding one or two more plants... Do you think that'll help? Right now he has a piece of bamboo, a few sprouts of water wysteria and some moneywort. Do you think a floating plant like hornwort will help?

Mozart is my black and white butterfly delta tail. he lives in a 3 gallon tank with a heater but no filter. He has the same plants as Brahms and one additional cave. His colors are a bit dull and I think I see stress stripes. He doesn't seem ill, since once I coax him out of hiding he eats fine. He just seems to scare easily.

I don't have access to IAL, but do you think there's something else I can do to make them feel more secure and scare a little less easily?
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

More cover will certainly help. Floating plants will, too. Where do the tanks sit? Do things go by the tank really fast? I have a tank that is secluded in the corner and whenever I or anyone else approaches it too quickly, my boys will run and hide. Give the plants some time to grow in and make sure nothing has a tendency to "sneak up" on your tanks.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
AngesRadieux

I'm pretty much the only one that goes in the room with my fish tanks. My parents don't want me to put them out in the open because they claim they would take up too much room if I put them anywhere else. No one else really bothers to go in and look at them, either because they're "boring"...

However, this weekend my little cousins are coming over. They might run up to the tanks and startle the fish. :/ Them and my aunt are of the mindset that you just plop a fish in water, drop a bit of food in, and it'll be fine, so I doubt they'll really care if I tell them not to scare my bettas. I'm thinking of running and getting at least one floating plant today just so they have a little something extra to hide in before my cousins come.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

It would just be a temporary fix, but why not put a towel over your tank while your cousins are there? It will at least prevent them from bothering your bettas. Or maybe close your door.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 
AngesRadieux

The door can't really be closed. It currently doesn't have a doorknob. If you're on the inside and it's closed, you can kind of grab the top and pry it open but it's pretty hard to open from the outside. I'll try covering the tanks, but my only concern is if obscuring the light like that will kill the plants.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 
lelei

If your tank is tall, try tall Silk plants, our Sammy loves his tall silk plants, also I have an Amazon Sword, and that is also tall, with wide coverage of leaves..nice to hide in:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngesRadieux View Post
The door can't really be closed. It currently doesn't have a doorknob. If you're on the inside and it's closed, you can kind of grab the top and pry it open but it's pretty hard to open from the outside. I'll try covering the tanks, but my only concern is if obscuring the light like that will kill the plants.
Doesn't you tank have a light? Obscuring the little bit of ambient light will be just fine if you leave the tank light on.