Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #1 
Edifiler

Getting Her Interested?

Hey guys, so I've been busy getting everything together, ready for the spawn. A few more days of conditioning and I would look to introduce them to the spawning tank.

During the condition period, I've fed lots of frozen blood worms and the highest % protein pellets I could get my hands on.About a week ago, I began showing them each other ( through glass containers ) for about 5 minutes.The male is fully interested in her, has a bubble nest after seeing her for 5 mins and is constantly body wacking and showing off.

The female however, just looks at him, occasionally swims towards him and just looks away.She's gotten eggy and has vertical baring on her belly.Which should be a good sign, but she doesnt seem interested in him at all.

About a month ago when I purchased the pair, the female was really into the male.Could she have lost interest already? If so what can I do to help them reignite their spark?

I keep their water clean, feed them 3 times a day, about 4-6 thawed frozen bloodworms and 1 pellet a day. I also have IAL in their tank.Do you guys think I should continue the conditioning period?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

*EDIT*
Another thing I forgot to mention was that she gets stressed if I leave them seeing each other for too long. She loses her colour and have significant horizontal stress stripes. I'm starting to think that I might have to postpone the breeding and try again another time.

Last edited by Edifiler; 06-13-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Postpone breeding for now but keep conditioning with high protein foods.

Isolate the female for a few days, don't let her see any other betta. Then flare her to another female - if she flirt swim, re introduce to the male. If not, isolate and feed her well until she does flirt against another female. If this doesn't work after a week, float/ put her next to a flirting male. She should respond.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #3 
lvandert

Maybe try a false rain stimulation? Try to get room temp water (Should be colder than the water in the breeding tank) and drip it into the tank. Something about a rain just gets them going. Some breeders try to time their spawns with the rain
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 
Edifiler

@Indijo She has been placed in isolation, I'll keep the blood worms going but I wont let them see each other.
Wouldnt floating her next to a flirting male cause her to be stressed?

@Ivandert Isnt the rain stimulation for breeding and not getting the female to be interested in the male? Anyways, its been storming for the past day, lost power over night and its been chilly. So I doubt the rain would do the trick.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #5 
lvandert

I thought it helps get them into the mood.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Isolation will build up their self esteem and they will flare (fight) against other females. Aggressive females are easier to breed. If she remains aggressive after a week, try flaring her to flirting males, any male will do but the male to be bred is best. Usually if they are old enough, healthy etc etc. they will respond by flirting too. If your female doesn't respond, keep exercising her to other females.

Stressed or non aggressive females may not respond to flirting males and become even more stressed. They are harder to breed. You have to make her regain her self esteem or aggressiveness. Females need strong mentality because they will be beaten but have to return to the male..... until they spawn.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #7 
Edifiler

@indijo unfortunately I dont have another female that she can flare to, would a mirror do the trick?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes you could use a mirror.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #9 
Edifiler

Shes responding well to the mirror, flaring back, hopefully she'll keep this up and gain back her self confidence. Thanks for the help.