Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Mama's Worried! Mystery!

I know this is a silly thing to get worried about, but I just had to check in with you guys to make sure everything is all right. Versace appears to have really chomped down on his tail (apparently common for HMs) ... although strangely, it's only happening in the part of his tail that has been losing color and is now transparent (marbling?). The rest of his white caudal fin is fine and untouched. Weird, much?

(see the transparence?)

He is high-strung and I'm not worried so much about the biting (although advice on how to handle this would be appreciated!) ... mostly, I'm worried about the red streaks where the biting occurred, or a little farther up into his tail. They're tiny, but they scare me to death because I've already had to deal with fin rot and septicemia in my other babies.

It's very hard to see the red streaks in the pictures, but squint if you can... is it just because of the biting?

ANY advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

As a tail regrows it comes in transparent and then the color starts to come in. From what I see it looks like he is in the process of regrowing his fins and what you're seeing is natural healing. In due time he will be back to his natural color and fin shape.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
SageMyster

His tail was actually perfect and white - no nibbling - when he arrived from Thailand not too long ago, and then the tail started turning transparent in parts, -before- the chewing started. And you think the red streaks are okay - are part of healing? Because they have me very, very worried. ):
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

I guess I can't help you then, I've never experienced a loss of color in my fish. Sorry.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 
SageMyster

It's all right Zergy, thanks for trying! :)

I'm still more worried about the red. Someone just told me it looks like ammonia burn, but that's impossible - his tank water is 0ppm. :/ And that it will never go away?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #6 
Sakura8

It's not ammonia burn. As I mentioned elsewhere, you never let the ammonia levels get high enough to cause burns. :) If it was burns from shipping, he would have arrived with them. The burns would not have occurred much later after the fact. He's basically irritating the tissue of his fins with his constant nibbling and as a result, it's become a little inflamed. It's like us scratching one spot constantly. Sooner or later, that spot will turn red and irritated. Since you keep the water clean, the possibilities of fin rot or septicemia setting in are pretty slim. If you're really worried though, plop him in some Stress Coat.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #7 
SageMyster

Thank you SO much, Sakura! You have always come to my rescue. :)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #8 
Sakura8

:) You're welcome. Fish give us plenty to worry about, there's no reason you should worry over something that's not there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote