Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't worry about BB.. your 60% weekly changes should be enough. Or whatever keeps the ammonia down enough! Is your filter cartridge really dirty looking? Rinse it out in old tank water.
Cleaning really shouldn't do anymore damage than leaving him as is.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 
pamilov

Thanks again, Olympia!

The filter cartridge really isn't dirty. In fact, I rinsed the entire filter (which is what I do when I do a thorough aquarium cleaning) & changed to a new cartridge 2 weeks ago (I changed cartridges as needed) & the cartridges have stayed relatively clean until just a few days ago (when I noticed that it was catching a small amount of debris - perhaps a few morsels of leftover food that I was unable to remove). Otherwise, it is still pretty clean.
pamilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamilov View Post
Thanks again, Olympia!

The filter cartridge really isn't dirty. In fact, I rinsed the entire filter (which is what I do when I do a thorough aquarium cleaning) & changed to a new cartridge 2 weeks ago (I changed cartridges as needed) & the cartridges have stayed relatively clean until just a few days ago (when I noticed that it was catching a small amount of debris - perhaps a few morsels of leftover food that I was unable to remove). Otherwise, it is still pretty clean.
wait
im really confused
is the betta in a bowl or a tank?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #14 
pamilov

a tank. i only (briefly) put him in a bowl when i'm cleaning the tank.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamilov View Post
a tank. i only (briefly) put him in a bowl when i'm cleaning the tank.
play
you confused me earlier when you mentioned a bowl. so it made me think you had him in a bowl
how big is your set up?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #16 
pamilov

it's a 2.5 gal tank, with heater & filter, & lots of live plants.

(update: extreme lethargy for the past 12-18 hours. VERY pale; definitely NOT looking good. i think it may be too late to save him.)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Did you put him in completely clean water and slowly acclimate him?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #18 
pamilov

Unhappy

thanks to everyone for your help.

as it turns out, peaches passed away last night.

i'm not entirely convinced the problem was ammonia poisoning (i tested the water daily - provided treatments as needed - & even after several 100% water changes, i still got a positive ammonia reading. i even used the test strips at several different locations & water sources - e.g., my home & my work - & they even tested postive). Plus, he never really had the 'bloody' streaks.

it's difficult to say at this point whether it was the natural aging process or, in fact, ammonia poisoning. (he was about 2+ years & had stopped making his bubble nests about 6 months ago).

anyway, i'm just hoping that i made his last few weeks as comfortable as possible.

again, thank you everyone.

(photo was taken about 2 weeks ago; just about the time i started this thread. so sad that i was unable to get his usual *flare* for the camera).
Attached Images