Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

I'm a terrible Betta mom :(

So, if you saw my thread here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104383&page=2 you know that I was wondering if Buddha was used to the cold since he's constantly having cold water in his tank.
And i started trying to adjust his tank temp. a little bit during eac change to make it warmer. Those days that he was sick, I was putting warm water in his tank.

Well....I used a thermomter...the "cold" water was in a 77 to 81 range, and the "warm" water was almost at the 90's.
....By using my own bodily temperature testing, I could have killed my fish.
And I would have blamed it on something else without knowing that his tank was perfect and I was doing unneccessary things to it because I thought it was cold.

I just feel like a terrible owner now, and a bit of me doesn't feel like I deserve another fish after this
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 
Laki

Please don't feel bad! And certainly don't take it out on yourself about a simple mistake! We are humans, and as such we are always learning and always finding things to learn about. And with the internet you know your fish might have been udergoing harsh water changes for his whole life. You cannot be expected to just buy your fish ad know 100% everything about him. There wouldn't be anything to learn!!
We all start somewhere. I impulse bought my betta Lakitu and he lived in a .5g thing with cold water (it was cleaned appropriately though, I knew that much).. It wasn't until I found this forum that I made the change.
You're a great betta mom, so concerned for him and attentive to suggestions :) You have nothing to worry about!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

Bettas can live in very harsh climates, and from what I read you did it over a long period of time so it's not like you just drastically changed the temperature.

You know what you should and shouldn't do and that means that you care. Just be thankful that you caught it early and that you can still enjoy your betta's company.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Thanks guys :)
I felt relief after seeing that the temperature was in the right range, but then I got REALLY upset because I realized that the warm water changes were probably shocking him.

I am extremely grateful for thiis site. I would have NEVER known ANYTHING for Buddha.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I agree, don't be so hard on yourself. It's why we are here after all, to learn from each other so our little guys have the best life they possibly can have. :D I'd say you're a good betta mom, because you're here, and trying rather then not being here and NOT trying to give your guy the best life he can have. :)

So kudos to you and your little guy :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

thank you :)

Buddha says thank you to everyone too ^^