Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
colorfulpetgirl

Unhappy My Betta Won't Eat Pellets

Every since I got him, I've been feeding him some flakes that have come with his stater kit . But when I tried to feed him pellets for the first time today, he just let it sink into the bottom of the tank and wouldn't eat until I gave in and just put some flakes at the top of the water for him. It seems there is going to be a whole bottle of pellets that will go to waste. Is he simply conditioned for such action and I have to fast him for a bit, so he will accept that fact he must eat it or should I just give up on my task?
colorfulpetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 
icyfishgirl

My Betta had the same problem! Mine just eventually learned that he should eat it but still has trouble finding them. I have to point at them.
icyfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #3 
AdamMZ

My betta fish have a worse problem, he won't eat the pellets no matter what.
Solution: Get a better food. (and that's a big problem for me :( ) And this is a good article for betta fish foods. http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm
AdamMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #4 
AdamMZ

Or maybe... my fish having a BIG problem!
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Both of my fishes are sick!
Edit: Or maybe just one of my fishes is sick. But I'm gonna watch out for Max. He did stay at the bottom and do nothing except going up to the surface for air.

Last edited by AdamMZ; 06-15-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 
AdamMZ

Okay, someone tells me that my fish is not sick. Phew.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #6 
colorfulpetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMZ View Post
Okay, someone tells me that my fish is not sick. Phew.
That's good. I hope your hunch is right and your betta is not sick. Thanks for posting the article- but I have already read it several times. I think at this point Titan is just used to his flake food, I'm not sure if it tastes better, if he is attracted to how it floats, or if he's just used to recieveing his food at the top of his little home. Today, I'll not feed him (he should be fine, I feed him enough (and maybe more than I should ) and give him a pellet tomorrow.
Thanks for responding
Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #7 
colorfulpetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfishgirl View Post
My Betta had the same problem! Mine just eventually learned that he should eat it but still has trouble finding them. I have to point at them.
It could be possible that Titan doesn't realize where his food is gone. Tomorrow I'll give him a pellet, and try to understand if he actually sees it or just chooses to ignore it. Thanks for replying.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 
atteb

Hello, I feed my bettas pellets along with frozen foods. The only pellets I will feed is the Hikari Bio Gold. I like the size of these pellets, they float and will not sink plus I like the outcome they product for my bettas.

I have 11 bettas and they all get these.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 
jaela

Male bettas are notoriously picky eaters. If the food is good enough quality, though, he'll only turn his nose up at it for a while before he gives in and realises that's what there is to eat around here. Good luck!
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 
colorfulpetgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaela View Post
Male bettas are notoriously picky eaters. If the food is good enough quality, though, he'll only turn his nose up at it for a while before he gives in and realises that's what there is to eat around here. Good luck!
Thanks. My betta boy is really starting to like his pellets. Is it weird I find it funny when he eats them? Looks like he's shaking his head or something.

Tags
flakes betta fish feeding