Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #11 
ManInBlack2010

She looks to be in good weight to me. You should be able to feel her ribs without having to use a lot of pressure, same goes for the hind quarters. I personally would switch food. You don't have to go all out and feed your dogs the most expensive stuff on the market, i know that price is usually what it comes down too. From my experience Taste of the Wild has been cheaper than most high end foods but is great quality. Thats what I feed my dogs. But even something like Eukanuba is a little better than old roy but still not extremely expensive. I like Euk's Adult Lamb and Rice formula.
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 
Enkil

My dog food of choice is Blue. That's what I have my pup on. Have to have him on quality food because he's going to be my service dog.

Being a hound, she'll look/feel a little lean. They tend to be more muscle. She looks good to me. I know how you feel about table scraps. Mine gets none though the roomies give their danes lots. :/ Only thing my pup gets is checken broth frozen into ice cubes for hot days.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #13 
starrlamia

she looks fine to me too, though if you are worried you could try a higher calorie food. TBH premium foods are more expensive but your pets will eat a lot less of it because premium food has more digestable food and less filler then stuff like ol' roy. So it kinda works out in the end
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

Ha, yea, I just don't seem to have enough time for housework anymore and the husband won't clean. He comes home and colapses and doesn't move. I have been hearing more and more about kitchen prepared raw foods but I am concerned about her. She gets sick if she eats anything other than dog food. I may try something for sensitive tummys and feed her seperate from the other dogs.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #15 
lvandert

I agree, she does look good weight but if you feel she NEEDS a few more pounds, feed her your brand of puppy chow. Our dog Zoey Mo was such a scrawny thing we thought she was sick or something, other people though we didn't feed her (She ate her bowl and our other dogs at times). As it turns out she got just a veracious metabolism and works off regular food super quick, so we switched her to puppy chow (vet recommended). She finally had got a few pounds on her now and looks a lot better
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

Hmm, thats a lot of good ideas. Her being a beagle partly would cause her to have a higher metabolism. That's a good idea and a cheaper fix. Thanks! I hope the puppy chow works for her. It would be more sensitive on her tummy too.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 06-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 
lvandert

It'll put on the weight quick because its full of fats so make sure you watch closely and when you feel like she's got those couple extra pounds start slowly switching her back. If she loses it again you might have to figure out a mixture of adult and puppy food that works for her.

our other dog is getting chubby too even though she doesn't need the puppy food but when they switch bowls on ya every 2 minutes its hard to control who eats what.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
She looks to be in good weight to me. You should be able to feel her ribs without having to use a lot of pressure, same goes for the hind quarters. I personally would switch food. You don't have to go all out and feed your dogs the most expensive stuff on the market, i know that price is usually what it comes down too. From my experience Taste of the Wild has been cheaper than most high end foods but is great quality. Thats what I feed my dogs. But even something like Eukanuba is a little better than old roy but still not extremely expensive. I like Euk's Adult Lamb and Rice formula.
I am glad you said this the way you did. My sister tells me all the time all of my dogs are too skinny. My vet says my terrier is perfect weight. He got extra check ups because when he was found he was covered in cow poo and underweight. Just because my dogs don't collapse like logs and pant like hers do when they barely walk doesn't mean they are malnurished. Her dogs are way fat. She has a norwegian elkhound and a beagle/dachsund mix. Both obese. Both breath heavy. Both get gobs of food and iced dog cookie treats everyday. My dogs don't get treats I want my doggys to be healthy and being overweight is not good for a pooch. Emma just seemed a little skinny to me. I am glad no one here seems to think she is. That's great.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
It'll put on the weight quick because its full of fats so make sure you watch closely and when you feel like she's got those couple extra pounds start slowly switching her back. If she loses it again you might have to figure out a mixture of adult and puppy food that works for her.

our other dog is getting chubby too even though she doesn't need the puppy food but when they switch bowls on ya every 2 minutes its hard to control who eats what.
I know what you mean. My three prefer one big bowl where they take turns eating. It's actually pretty funny. But all three heads go in the water bowl at the same time.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #20 
lvandert

lol if its hot out Zoey-Mo will paw at her water dish, trying to swim in it. Untill we let her outside and fill up her pool :P
Attached Images