Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #11 
Enkil

To be honest, it looks like he tore his fins up to me. I have had a couple of fish do this. Keep an eye on him. Rearrange his tank to see if that helps. Check your decorations to be sure none of them are tearing his fins.

I also swear by Prime. It is wonderful and you don't have to use much which makes a bottle last longer.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #12 
Chrexis

I just rearranged his tank, but I have no idea what he'd rip his fins on... everything in there has been in since day 1 except for the hornwort but I don't believe it could rip his fins...
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

Ok, here is how to combat tail biting. It means they are bores, so try live foo like mosquito larve, or get a mirror and let the flare for a it. play games with them, rearrange the dcoration. It all helps.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 
Chrexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Ok, here is how to combat tail biting. It means they are bores, so try live foo like mosquito larve, or get a mirror and let the flare for a it. play games with them, rearrange the dcoration. It all helps.
I've never even seen him do this unless he's a closet tail biter, but even then why would they completely tear off their own fins?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #15 
Enkil

Bettas tail bite for many reasons. Sometimes you can't do anything about it. You can try a few things though. More decorations to play in. Varying his diet more. Flare time with a mirror. Some will stop and some wont. You just have to keep trying and keep his water nice and clean.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #16 
Enkil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrexis View Post
I've never even seen him do this unless he's a closet tail biter, but even then why would they completely tear off their own fins?
I have one male destroys his tail on a regular basis. Only when not being observed. I have another who managed to take off his entire dorsal down to his back. Yet another bites if I rearrange his decor. And I recently got a tail biter that I have yet to figure out though he seems to not be biting at the moment.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 
Pogthefish

btw, if u rearage it gives somethign intresting to look at so he forgets about his tail
Old 06-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #18 
Chrexis

Well Wednesday he's moving in to his new tank which is about 3 times are much water, and he'll be neighbours with another male betta, so hopefully his neighbour will keep his mind off things.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #19 
Pogthefish

That can stress him if he can always see it, what about puttign a piece of construction paper, or some other thin between them and give them a few minutes of flare time a day. Too much flare time stresses them.