Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Questions about starting sorority?

Ok I would love to *eventually* have a sorority. My tank is still cycling and I will not buy any more fish until it is fully cycled... Now for my questions...

1. What is the minimum number of females that can live together? (that is if all the females get along)

2. Can I have a soroity in a 10 gallon tank? (my parents will not let me have any more tanks and I cannot get a bigger tank)

3. How long should bettas be isolated in case of disease before being introduced?

4. How are you supposed to introduce them? You don't just plop them in there, right? Through a bag? Can they go in one or two at a time??

5. If they were to not get along, will PETco allow me to return them? (keep in mind the amount of time it takes to isolate in case they have a time policy) this is important since I cannot have several tanks, I'm worried it'd be hard to get rid of a female, even if I just gave it away.

HELP.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Ok I would love to *eventually* have a sorority. My tank is still cycling and I will not buy any more fish until it is fully cycled... Now for my questions...

1. What is the minimum number of females that can live together? (that is if all the females get along)

Most people will tell you that 4 or 5 is the minimum of girls, the best being more and in odd numbers (5,7,9 etc)

2. Can I have a soroity in a 10 gallon tank? (my parents will not let me have any more tanks and I cannot get a bigger tank)

Yes, you can have a very nice sorority of maybe 5 girls in a heavily planted (fake or natural) 10 gallon tank. The best thing would be to have plenty of plants at all levels, tall/small/medium height. The thing is even though they get along in groups, they are still agressive in nature and need a "place of their own" in the tank.

3. How long should bettas be isolated in case of disease before being introduced?

Personally, if the fish look healthy, eat well, poop well, and do not have fin damage I watch them for a week before releasing them in my tanks. However if you purchase fish that are sickly, aren't swimming around alot as bettas are very active once they're in good health, of have fin damage or any other signs of disease (read up in the disease and emergency section or on www.bettatalk.com ) Then I keep them in observation or QT for as long as they take to get better and then one full week after they look Healthy.

4. How are you supposed to introduce them? You don't just plop them in there, right? Through a bag? Can they go in one or two at a time??

The way I did it for my sorority was I made sure the girls were fully fed, and floated for at least 2 hours so they could get to know each other. I released them 2 at a time and tried to release the LEAST aggressive fish first working my way back to the meanest girls. This worked best for me.

5. If they were to not get along, will PETco allow me to return them? (keep in mind the amount of time it takes to isolate in case they have a time policy) this is important since I cannot have several tanks, I'm worried it'd be hard to get rid of a female, even if I just gave it away.

HELP.
Petco has a 30 day return policy now, so I think you should be just fine if you come home with some good healthy looking girls. I wouldn't bet my money on local pet store fish though as they have been separated and from experience it is alot harder for them to acclimate to sharing space with other girls once they get a taste of life on their own. I have no Idea why but they can be worse than the boys when it comes to community life. Anywho try looking for local pet shops that house the female bettas in a tank together or look online for a breeder that sells girls in bunches. They are alot less likely to react as violently

I hope this helped. I tried but after about 8 months I woke up and all but 2 girls and 1 albino corycat were dead. It was WEIRD. But anyways I wish you luck
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Anitax3x, thank you so much! I have one more question I forgot to ask- I have one female in this tank currently. Should I remove her and isolate her to prevent territorial issues before I add more females? If so, how long do you think? This might sound weird, but woul arranging the tank differently make her less territorial or would it not matter?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

Personally, if she has been alone, you could try to put her with the other girls, but she may not take to having to share her space with other females very well. Your best bet would be to take her out, and make sure you rearrange the tank so that she doesn't know its her tank before you reintroduce her. It's worth atry

Don't forget to do this once you have a few days that you aren't busy so you can watch them. There will be chasing, fin nipping and flaring. I would only separate them if they stay going at it for a long time, and once you do some more research you can tell when this is just a one time get out of my face type of nip or flare or if it is a I'm going to kill you period type of nip or flare.

You will always have some nipping and chasing, but I loved watching my girls school together. They were so cute!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Thanks again! :)

I'm really excited. I just want my tank to hurry up and CYCLE! Cmon! Haha...

If anyone else has any extra tips/advice on sororities, I'm all ears :)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #6 
ClassicCharm

The one thing I've found through my sorority endeavors is that it's best to have females all close to the same age. I've found that if there is an older female, the young ones all beat up on her. Again, that's just my personal experience :)

Good luck!
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
The one thing I've found through my sorority endeavors is that it's best to have females all close to the same age. I've found that if there is an older female, the young ones all beat up on her. Again, that's just my personal experience :)

Good luck!
Oh gosh! I hope my set up works out. My PETco only had younger females. I bought two and I'm going to buy two at petsmart... Well if anything I can keep them Seperate until they get a bit bigger :/ or try and if it fails give them more time... Wish me luck! :)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 
ClassicCharm

It's better to start with younger ones so they can grow up in a sorority. It's harder for them to adjust if they have been living alone for a while. I'm saying that a bunch of youngins may not be very friendly towards the one female you have now who has been living on her own if she is older than the rest of them. My experience is with a female who is over a year older than the rest of them.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

OH BTW I got tetra safe start, my tank is having issues and wasn't cycled after 8 weeks. Someone recommended the safe start and said it will be fine ven if it's not finished by the time I add the new females ;)