Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

New Project :-)

So I was going to divide, and tried to divide my 20 gal tank for two males, total DISASTER. So I removed the dividers, and at the moment one male is in QT for having ripped up his fins by trying to get THROUGH the dividers, the other is in the tank, LOVING the big open space. So No worries, I was planning on re arranging everyone, and I may be rehoming some girls who originally were in my sorority a long time ago.

Anyways I'm going to be changing the substrate to play sand soon, and I am going to turn this tank into a naturally planted tank.

I am going to pick up some amazon swords, Since I'll actually have space for them , I have anacharis, cabomba (purple and green) , java fern, and duckweed. I also may have some microsword in there as well.

What else do you guys Think?

I really don't want to order plants online, so I'm working with what I have growing in other tanks and buying maybe a couple more plants.

Are Swords too big for a 20 gal tank?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
So I was going to divide, and tried to divide my 20 gal tank for two males, total DISASTER. So I removed the dividers, and at the moment one male is in QT for having ripped up his fins by trying to get THROUGH the dividers, the other is in the tank, LOVING the big open space. So No worries, I was planning on re arranging everyone, and I may be rehoming some girls who originally were in my sorority a long time ago.

Anyways I'm going to be changing the substrate to play sand soon, and I am going to turn this tank into a naturally planted tank.

I am going to pick up some amazon swords, Since I'll actually have space for them , I have anacharis, cabomba (purple and green) , java fern, and duckweed. I also may have some microsword in there as well.

What else do you guys Think?

I really don't want to order plants online, so I'm working with what I have growing in other tanks and buying maybe a couple more plants.

Are Swords too big for a 20 gal tank?
lol I cant really answer you.. But I hope swords are okay for your tank. i have two swords in my 10 gallon... o_o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

You should be fine with the swords...I actually have some smaller sword plants in my 5.5 gallons...and a larger sword in my ten gallon...I don't know how often this actually happens, but someone on another forum didn't move his sword for a long time and the roots grew so much that they actually put a leak in the seal...like they broke through the silicon..I always make sure I pick up my amazons every now and then (which I do anyway for large cleanings)...

As for other plants, if you are going low tech, crypts are really nice, especially if you get a nice bunch of them...I love crypt wendtii brown...adds a bit more color to the tank. Anubias is another nice plant (have it in all of my tanks)...needs nothing extraordinary to grow...low lighting will do, they don't need ferts or co2...

Good luck with your planted tank! All of mine are planted and I absolutely love them! And so do my fish! :D
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

I have three tanks with plants in them, and I'm planning on making my other 2 planted. It helps me keep water quality and I love how my fish react to it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 
DJAinKY

An Amazon Sword will eventually outgrow even a 20 gallon, I would imagine. I had one that took over my 10 gallon a few years ago, and you generally see them in much bigger tanks than a 20. The real question is, are you OK with it dominating the tank? Because I'm sure you could control it, but you may not like the look at that point.
DJAinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

Hmm okay. I may not do the swords then.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #7 
SweetNightmare

My work has some large swords bunched in our tanks(which aren't huge, maybe ten gallon sectioned cubes, something like that) and it makes a nice little 'forest' for fish. I like the look, so I have some babies I snipped off in my ten gallon. They wilted after the move, but are starting to grow back. Then I like the heavily planted look, a huge forest for fish to swim through. :D Be sure to do lots of research before switching to NPT, it's easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing. ((I messed mine up quite a bit when I first did it.))
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 
Anitax3x

I already have two NPT's So no worries! I did my research! I messed up my first one too! Ugh what a muddy mess!

anyways, I have conflicting opinions on the swords. I know they are called "tank busters" But I thought they would be good in 20 gal tanks?

Anywho I'll pm OFL and ask her. I personally would like one nice sword in the tank. But if It is too risky , I'll stay away from it and get other plants

Thank you all for your advice/input! I really appreciate it!