Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #1 
mjoy79

Is this SBD? (Video link included)

I took this video of one of my sorority girls, after removing her from the sorority because she has been swimming weird. She was doing this several days ago so I took her out, put her in epsom salt water by herself in a hospital tank and let her soak in it overnight. She seemed to be doing better the next day so I put her back in the sorority. Noticed she's still doing it so I took her back out and put her back in some epsom salt water/hospital tank....

http://youtu.be/MD4PNe0NXbk
(sorry about the cat meowing in the video, LOL)

Is this Swim Bladder disease? If so, is there anything else that can be done besides what I'm doing?
I lost another girl last month due to what I thought was SBD that never went away (seemed like it was not just simple SBD like I thought). I really don't want to lose another betta especially when its something that seems like it should clear up pretty easily.

Here are my stats

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 8 other female bettas (all are doing fine)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets exclusively right now, until I pick up some more frozen bloodworms from the store
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 or 2 times per day. I admit I don't monitor who gets how much like I should :(

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 per wk
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-ish
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner and/or Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slightly bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? struggles to swim, mostly when at the surface of the water, will swim on her side
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago, cleared up but is back again tonight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Have her in a shallow epsom salt treated hospital tank with leaves for resting on
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not until this week
How old is your fish (approximately)? purchased from Petco January 2012 - estimate she is 9-12 mo. old
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

It could be, but it could also just be that she's over eating- though she doesn't look too pudgy.

(i love your cat lol)

Try keeping her in a QT with just regular treated water. I personally don't like using epsome salt for more then 20-30 minutes at a time, I just use them as "baths". Try not feeding her for acouple days then give her some Daphnia (frozen preferably) or some Brine Shrimp (also preferably frozen). They both work as natural laxatives.

I've rescued males from cups who were similar to that but it was just that they didn't have room to swim properly in the cups and were over fed. Hopefully she's only over fed, but someone else i'm sure will come help you out too and give their opinion on what's happening as well.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 
Bladezero

I agree with TheCheese, looks like a very very mild SBD. Very clean water and no food for 2 days will let you know if you need to do a epsom treatment or not.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 
mjoy79

Thanks for your help! Ugh i wish I had seen these posts sooner. I left her at home in epsom salt water today. As soon as I get off work though i'll put her in just clean water no salt for the weekend and see how she does.
Also going to stop by the pet store for some frozen foods as well :)

Last edited by mjoy79; 06-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 
Bladezero

I'm sure she'd love that!
If you already started give her a few days in it, with fasting.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #6 
mjoy79

Just wanted to update.. I have her back in the sorority as of this morning. I've been watching and she's swimming around normally - no signs of struggling to swim and seems happy to be back in the sorority :)
I'm hoping this doesn't end up being chronic SBD... but I'm going to feed them less and make sure none of them are pigging out too.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 
Bladezero

Great to hear :)