Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

As someone else pointed out, show your parents that you are a responsible person by taking good care of other pets you already have be they dogs, cats, hamsters, fish or whatever. Parenrs don't want to have to clean up extra messes when they have kids, a job, house to take care of, etc. Make sure you take care of cleaning your room and getting homework done. When they see that you're a responsible person and a good student then they might let you have more.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #22 
chibir3dpanda

I suffer from "social anxiety" as my therapist calls it, so my mom's trying to get me into some more social things, and she told me to come up with a list of rewards. (As in, if I do accomplish something that causes me a great deal of anxiety, I get a reward) If you were to look at my list, its pretty much all bettas! XD

I hope my parents see me as responsible. I take great care of my bettas, (and my albino cory catfish) I do what they ask, I do chores, I sometimes do my homework.. lol, I work for my money, stuff like that.
chibir3dpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #23 
eaturbyfill

When I lived with my parents, I'd just show how responsible I was with caring for the fish and buying the supplies myself. Always worked for me. (:
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #24 
mattoboy

My parents are pretty supportive of my fish hobby. Sure they dont necessarily like it, but they are there for me, especially if I need some things such as Flourish or Prime or a new filter cartridge and im broke, then they step up and buy me it and I really cant thank them enough for that. I really want to get more betta's, but the thing is, im only 13 and job oppurtunities are very far and few between. I usually only get money if I cut the grass or sell stuff, or sometimes work and help my parents. But what really makes it a difficult hobby is money and im sure it affects every hobby in one way or another. I try not to impulse buy when I can because I dont want to be stuck in the position of so many fish but keeping them in 2 litre containers unheated because I cant afford all the needs of these beautiful fish. My count right now is 2 Bettas and 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows :)
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #25 
dbooknook

I have two bettas. My parents say no more. What says goes in my house. *sigh* Unless, for my birthday.................(devising ideas).
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #26 
thekoimaiden

My mother would let me get anything that I can pay for. If I could afford a $5000 200 gal discus biotope setup, she would let me have it (if I can afford it ). She knows it's my passion and won't stop me aside from telling me what my bank account balance is. I think a lot of it depends on the parents. My mother is very supportive, but another mother might be a bit skeptical.

The longer you are in the hobby and have been taking care of fish, the more apt your parents will be to let you have more. I didn't start out with 5 fish tanks. I started out with one about six years ago and gradually added more. The slower you add, the less they seem to notice.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For me it's the opposite Izzy. My moms been noticing the number of tanks climbing up. She says no more. She sees how many things I have plugged in, lights running during the day, plus water changes, all worries her. I already have a heater, filter and light for a 30 gallon though! I think I'll call it after that tank.
My parents see through the "being good" thing. Hopefully if my grades hold up they'll ease off a little bit. That's all they care about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #28 
Spazzfish

"Mom i am getting another betta!"
"Just remember your paying for it!"
i love my mom :)
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #29 
Sivan

It might be a good thing to not have too many more, depending on how old you are. If you are in high school (my guess) you have to keep in mind that in a few short years, no matter how long they may seem, you will be going to college. Whether you are staying local or going away, higher education can adversely effect your fish time. You would not want your animals to suffer or be ignored during this very crucial time in you life and considering that under the right conditions betta fish can live around 5 years, it might be best to hold off until you have your own place.

For now, enjoy the animals you have. It can be easy becoming an animal hoarder and that is no good for anybody, person or animal. If it is just something you are passionate about, then try other ways to "rescue" betta fish such as raising awareness at your local store about what you see that is bad for the fish or finding ways to educate people buying betta fish for the first time or those who have had them previously but believe myths. Having multiple outlets for your fish love can do everyone some good.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #30 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
It might be a good thing to not have too many more, depending on how old you are. If you are in high school (my guess) you have to keep in mind that in a few short years, no matter how long they may seem, you will be going to college. Whether you are staying local or going away, higher education can adversely effect your fish time. You would not want your animals to suffer or be ignored during this very crucial time in you life and considering that under the right conditions betta fish can live around 5 years, it might be best to hold off until you have your own place.

For now, enjoy the animals you have. It can be easy becoming an animal hoarder and that is no good for anybody, person or animal. If it is just something you are passionate about, then try other ways to "rescue" betta fish such as raising awareness at your local store about what you see that is bad for the fish or finding ways to educate people buying betta fish for the first time or those who have had them previously but believe myths. Having multiple outlets for your fish love can do everyone some good.

+1
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote