Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
laoshun

aggressive female question

I have a new sorority but I have only 1 female who is overly aggressive towards 1 betta more than the others and its constant around the tank. I have isolated her but any ideas if it would settle down after a couple days if i keep her isolated or is it just because of the fish itself.

Thanks o.o
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

how many females do you have in this sorority and what size is the tank?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 
laoshun

10 gallon, 5 females total. Planted tank, cycled.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #4 
Curlyfatbottom

To many female in that small tank
If u isolate her
She'll just get more aggressive
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

No the female ratio is fine you could even add one more. What you do is cup her for a couple of days and float her in the sorority tank. What will happen is the other girls will surround her and she will try but won't be able to attack. This should calm her down a bit. After a couple days like that release her. If she is still agressive do it again. If she is still agressive after that she just may be a female that needs to be solitary. Not all girls are cut out for it. This comes from having a 10 gallon sorority before myself. My sorority is now a 20 gallon with 12 females. If you have any other questions for me PM me. Good luck.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 06-19-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #6 
laoshun

alright thanks, i think she might be solitary betta but we will see in a couple of days. just a shame that she is the only overly aggressive one towards one and only one of my girls.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
No the female ratio is fine you could even add one more. What you do is cup her for a couple of days and float her in the sorority tank. What will happen is the other girls will surround her and she will try but won't be able to attack. This should calm her down a bit. After a couple days like that release her. If she is still agressive do it again. If she is still agressive after that she just may be a female that needs to be solitary. Not all girls are cut out for it. This comes from having a 10 gallon sorority before myself. My sorority is now a 20 gallon with 12 females. If you have any other questions for me PM me. Good luck.
Hello I also will have a 5 betta sorority soon. So the problem fish should be put in a cup and float for a few days in the tank?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

When you start yours. Make sure it is heavily planted. Fake or real plants doesn't matter and some caves. Make sure they are tall plants that will break their line of sight. This will help with agression. Since you will have a brand new tank expect little nicks and bites here and there. Thats normal. Watch them closely for to much agression like the original poster has. To much attacking, open wounds, fights that don't end quickly.... remove the wounded or the agressive. Treat the wounded of course :) You don't have to float the original ladies for a couple of days. Just acclimate them and release but watch them closely for any agression. Oh and for the original poster as well, you can try to take all the girls out and rearange the tank and re-enter. Some people have sucess with that but I have more sucess with floating them in their cups.

The best trick to reintroduce an agressive fish is to float them for a couple of days with the idea they will be sorrounded by all of the girls but won't be able to attack. The idea is that this will retrain the brain to a more relaxed states when around others. Sometimes it doesn't work. I usually try it 2 or 3 times before removing them permenantly but I have a decently docile group. Just a few nicks. The important thing in a sorority is to keep the water super clean (because of the nicks in the tails) and watch for agression. Also equally important. Later on down the road if you add more girls be sure to quarantine them for illness.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
alright thanks, i think she might be solitary betta but we will see in a couple of days. just a shame that she is the only overly aggressive one towards one and only one of my girls.
It does happen. It happened with me. One of my girls actually got bitten on so much when I started my sorority she died of bacterial issues. I would watch the one getting picked on too. She may be weak and that could be why she is being attacked. Someone else may take over. Betta's have a Alpha mentality where they will fight for the top spot and the weaker comes out on the losing end of those battles. Isn't nature grand?