Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Quarantining Female Bettas?

Ok I'm going to start a sorority. Yesterday I bought 2 female bettas at PETco and I'm buying two more at petsmart tomorrow. (I already have one Betta so it'll be a group of 5)

I feel bad because their quarantine tanks are not ideal. They're .75 gallons that I'm doing 75% changes every other day (does that sound like enough to you?) and my next two fish will have 1.25 gallons each. I also feel bad that I have to keep the quarantine tanks at 72 degrees (room temp) until they're added to the heated tank.

So basically, how can I make them more comfortable despite these conditions? They seem overall healthy, they have minor tears in their fins, but it doesn't look to be fin rot or anything. They're eating hikari baby Betta bio gold pellets (they're not babies, but they are young and small) I also have some glass pebbles in the bottom of the tanks and I put half a styrofoam cup to float, which they like to hover under.

Anything else I could do to make them mre comfortable? :/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 
Knitterly

I think that they;ll be fine through the qt period as far as volume and temp go. We're talking short-term stays and also remember that they've been in dixie cups. What you're giving them for QT is a step up and a step along the road to a palace. LOL.

I put small things in each of my girls' QT bowls. The small tera cotta pots that I had bought for the big tank, a doll-sized santa mug that our male betta used to sleep in, a fish cave found at the resale shop, etc. whatever i had that worked, just so that they could hide if they wanted to. So far, only two have chosen to hide.

I think your changes will be often enough. they will certainly survive as long as you keep something on top of the bowls! I made that mistake once... thankfully, she's recovering fully.

I've heard that 2 weeks is a good QT time length.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitterly View Post
I think that they;ll be fine through the qt period as far as volume and temp go. We're talking short-term stays and also remember that they've been in dixie cups. What you're giving them for QT is a step up and a step along the road to a palace. LOL.

I put small things in each of my girls' QT bowls. The small tera cotta pots that I had bought for the big tank, a doll-sized santa mug that our male betta used to sleep in, a fish cave found at the resale shop, etc. whatever i had that worked, just so that they could hide if they wanted to. So far, only two have chosen to hide.

I think your changes will be often enough. they will certainly survive as long as you keep something on top of the bowls! I made that mistake once... thankfully, she's recovering fully.

I've heard that 2 weeks is a good QT time length.
Thanks! I will have to go find some mugs ;) no worries, they are in critter keepers so they can't jump out! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote