Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #11 
Enkil

I don't net as nets can tear fins. I either use a cup to get them or scoop them out by hand. Most of mine will hover at my hand and let me scoop them out. Only have trouble with a couple of my females.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #12 
Homeskillet10788

My little guy throws a fit! It takes several attempts to even get him in the net. I usually have to trap him against the flat side of the tank!
Homeskillet10788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #13 
goldentryst

I use my handy dandy betta cup. :P !

And as for my long-finned one, he kinda just tries to escape the cup's suction, but fails miserably. Super easy to catch him.

As for my short-finned dragon... He's like a crazy pingpongball when the cup comes for him. It takes a bit longer to get him, a minute or so.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #14 
Bethydan

I have one that I just scoop out with my hand. Swims right up and gets cozy. The other two might pitch a fit for a few seconds.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #15 
lelei

I know it's like torture,,ugh, and I hate scaring my baby..he just hates cups, and I won't dare use a net..altho maybe would be better..tho for right now the suction of the baggie, pulling the water in is best..and when he's in, the baggie, I just let gravity go to work, and he goes right back in the water..ahhh, so much bettr for us..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #16 
fleetfish

I use a net only if absolutely necessary. They sort of just mosey on in and wait for a bit until I have enough water in their cups and in they go without much fuss . . . though Zucca tends to get stressed out a whole lot. He's not used to nets as much as the others.

If I'm cupping, I take it slowly. Sometimes ten minutes for one betta, five for another, twenty (!!!) for yet another. As long as they aren't stressed about it it's okay to take the time even if water changes only take five minutes. I don't like to suck them in, since it's stressful, more like they'll just swim in when they're ready . . . hopefully.

Other times, I use a net to guide them into their cups. It's the easiest method of catching without much stress. And if they do figure the 'trap' out, I just try again in a few minutes.

Afterwards, they all get bloodworms, because they deserve it for being such brave little fishies :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote