Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 
lestranch

HELP! Fin Rot Keeps Coming Back!

I have had my betta for about 2 months and I noticed the first signs of fin rot about 2 weeks after I got him. I treated his water with bettafix (which I have heard different opinions about using it) for a week and was careful not to over medicate.After I finished his treatment, it seemed that the fin rot was not progressing any further. I saw the ends of his tail were clear, assuming that was new tissue growth.

It has now been 3 weeks since I treated him and it looks like the fin rot is back. His tail has a shredded appearence and some of ends look like they may be curling. ( Is the curling from the water being to cold? Water temp is around 70)

He is in a 5 gallon tank with a filter, (no heater) do I need to get one? I do a 20-25% water change with pre-treated water once a week and siphon out debris. He is very active and eats very well. I test his water and all the conditions come out perfect.

How do I get rid of his fin rot? Do I need to do a 100% water change? Use a different medication? I have read so many different solutions, I just don't know which one to use.
lestranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
Shadyr

Yes, you need a heater! Bettas like upper 70's to even low 80's as a temperature for their homes.

As for the fin rot, I have a boy with it, I noticed it about a week ago and I've been treating it with Aquarium Salt and lots of 50% water changes. It seems to be clearing up now at about 7 days in, the recommended length of a AQ salt treatment being 10 days.

If it gets serious and just won't clear up with homeopathic treatments, there are medicines, but I don't know which to recommend. You might have some luck with the stickies in the Betta diseases and Emergencies section of the forum.

Hope your fellow kicks that finrot! My boy with it had just come off a case of fuzzies, so I suspect he might have a low immune system - I have ordered some Indian Almond Leaves off ebay for him to hopefully help keep him healthier.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, 1st of all you NEED a Heater. The Curling is caused by the Hardness of Water. It means your Water is Hard. The BEST Treatment for Fin Rot is Aquarium Salt and Very Clean Water. Are you sure he isn't Tail Biting?
The Temperature has to be AT LEAST 74 Degrees. The Best is 78-80.
Make sure you do your Water Changes, and get Heater and Aquarium Salt.
Best of Luck to you!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #4 
Pogthefish

Ok, fin rot is caused by elevated levels of amonia. No amonia is good, but WAY too much causes fin rot. You need to do more water changes, definitely.At least double if not triple. Keep the water PRISTINE. Second, use aq.salt along with frequent water changes, but only for a maximum of 10 days. After that, it causes kidney damage. If your amonia is 0 and you still get fin rot, your fish may have an immune system problem. I had a fish that ALWAYS had fin rot, and she ended up dying of dropsy because she was so weak. She always got sick, always. If your fish is like that, you need to take special care to keep it healthy. If you think it is, tell me and I an talk to you about what you need to do, and the extent of the problem.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 
lestranch

Do I put aq salt in every day with water changes?

Do I put the 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for my 5 gallon tank everyday for ten days with 50% water changes? I dont want to over do it with the salt since it doesnt evaporate out.

I need step by step directions for getting rid of his fin rot. Thanks!

P.S. Ordered a 25w heater for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Ok, fin rot is caused by elevated levels of amonia. No amonia is good, but WAY too much causes fin rot. You need to do more water changes, definitely.At least double if not triple. Keep the water PRISTINE. Second, use aq.salt along with frequent water changes, but only for a maximum of 10 days. After that, it causes kidney damage. If your amonia is 0 and you still get fin rot, your fish may have an immune system problem. I had a fish that ALWAYS had fin rot, and she ended up dying of dropsy because she was so weak. She always got sick, always. If your fish is like that, you need to take special care to keep it healthy. If you think it is, tell me and I an talk to you about what you need to do, and the extent of the problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #6 
Shadyr

You should not dump the salt straight in, it needs to be predissolved. I put my salt in a cup of boiling water, stir it till it's completely dissolved, then pour that into the water I'm about to be adding into the tank. I wait for the temperature to even out (1 cup of boiling water *does* have a noticable effect on 1/2-1G of room temp water), add my water conditioner, and make the exchange.

Since I'm worried about this fish, I will be keeping Indian Almond leaves in his tank (yay, got email from Amy yesterday saying they shipped!) They are supposed to add beneficial tannins to the water that make the fish feel more at home, and are reputed to help with their immune systems too. We'll see I guess. But it seemed like a good idea anyway, and there seem to be many people here who use them for all kinds of situations.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 
lestranch

aq salt

Well, yesterday i did a 50% water change and siphoned out as much debris as I could get, then put in the aq salt straight. I hope this doesn't hurt him. The problem is I have his tank at work so I do not have access to boil the water, guess microwave? (obviously let it cool all the way down) So once I dissolve the salt, do I put salt in his tank everyday for ten days along with daily 50% water changes? I feel like putting salt in a freshwater tank that long would kill him. I am new at all of this just want to know the best way to take care of him and get rid of his fin rot. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
You should not dump the salt straight in, it needs to be predissolved. I put my salt in a cup of boiling water, stir it till it's completely dissolved, then pour that into the water I'm about to be adding into the tank. I wait for the temperature to even out (1 cup of boiling water *does* have a noticable effect on 1/2-1G of room temp water), add my water conditioner, and make the exchange.

Since I'm worried about this fish, I will be keeping Indian Almond leaves in his tank (yay, got email from Amy yesterday saying they shipped!) They are supposed to add beneficial tannins to the water that make the fish feel more at home, and are reputed to help with their immune systems too. We'll see I guess. But it seemed like a good idea anyway, and there seem to be many people here who use them for all kinds of situations.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 
lestranch

Also, I did the 50% water change yesterday tested his water and his nitrite levels are reading in between .5-1.0. Should I just dump out all his water except for a little and start over with fresh treated water?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #9 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestranch View Post
Also, I did the 50% water change yesterday tested his water and his nitrite levels are reading in between .5-1.0. Should I just dump out all his water except for a little and start over with fresh treated water?

Yup. Actually, better to put him in a clean lidded container (new ones cost a buck at my supermarket, new is best) and dump ALL of it out.

And do that every couple days, if you can't possibly do it every day. Salt buildup isn't good. Less than 100% changes, there's going to be salt buildup - a day or two is probably okay. A week probably isn't. Plus, those nitrites will never be 0 without 100% change.

Salt's fine as a cure for the prescribed ten days. It's not, as a permanent additive.

Last edited by Aus; 06-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 
Shadyr

Aus, I'm still new, so I'm learning myself. If I take out a gallon and then put a gallon (with the prescibed amount of salt predissolved in it) back in, then are you still increasing the salt level? It seems it would stay roughly the same.

This does seem to be working for Lavatail, his fins are once more red with a bit of clear at the tips that I hope/assume is new growth. Tomorrow will be day 10 of his treatment. So yay, but if there's a more correct way, I'd assume do it that way if the need arises again

I hope the IALs help him stay happier and hopefully healthier once they arrive.

Tags
fin rot, medication