Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 
Bramos

New Owner: Mr. Chang

Hello, my name is Brandon. I am a new Betta owner of my fish Mr. Chang.

I received Mr. Chang by accident. My sister owns a 48 gallon tank with tropical fish and was supposed to be an addition to her tank. She introduced him and he was almost sucked into the filter. We managed to shut the filter off and he came away uninjured. I could not see him die and without a tank to place him in rescued him from the tank.

Mr. Chang now resides in a 10 gallon tank with real as well as silk plants. His roommates are 4 glow fish, 3 gold tetras and an algae eater.

The tank is kept at 78 deg and he has a lot of room to play and hide.

My concern. I don't have one of those bubble makers in my tank as I don't want to stress Mr. Chang... But I am still new to fish and would not want to kill the rest by accident. Would a bubble maker hurt Mr. Chang who now sees very happy in his new home?

Thank you for the time and I look forward to sharing this experience with you all. I have become a major Betta Lover

Brandon
Bramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #2 
Aus

Awh! That is so sweet.. Seems Mr. Chang has found himself a really great home.

As for the bubble maker - some bettas love them, some will freak out.. so maybe try it and see? Mr. Chang will probably 'claim' one bit of the tank for himself, so maybe watch for where that is and try it at the other end of the tank.. is all I can think to suggest.

Welcome to the forum, and to the addiction.. er, wonderful world.. of betta keeping.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 
lelei

That is what I would suggest too, just try..but keep on other side, so he can see from a distance, it does help to aerate the water, and provide oxygen..my Sammy loves his bubbles, and really it's just a mattr of getting used to..but sammy loves his..and right from the start..so hopefully your fishy will too:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 
Bramos

Thank you both for the quick and friendly response. I am a little concerned with the filter I have. I get worried that Mr. Chang will get caught on it. Is there a way to prevent this? I have a kit aquarium. But I love the personality of this fish. The others in the tank were just to give Chang something else to look at…lol Lost two little guys to the filter yesterday. Felt bad about that.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum and happy to hear your story ! I dont know about the bubbles makers as I have never tried one, I have had my Perseus just over a month now and just love him and so much fun to watch him everyday swimming and exploring his tank and last evening I swear he was playing ninja the way he was weaving between his plants like he was stalking something lol...but for now he is alone in his 5 gallon tank thinking of getting a snail soon. Best of wishes to you and Mr.Chang !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #6 
littlemermaid

If you find the bubbles are a bit strong they sell air control valves that allow you to adjust the amount of bubble and they are super easy to attach and use. I bought a pack for like $2 at petsmart (Top Fin airline connector kit). I use them in my 10 gallon and they are great for the little filters that attach to an air pump.
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 
lelei

Hello, and Welcome to the great forum, for us betta lovers, (sorry if I didn't get a chance to do that before...lol) at work,,

If the filter itself is too strong, there is a (sticky) regarding how to "Baffle" a filter to reduce the intake flow..:) I am not sure how to do it, but go to the Sticky Section that should help.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 
tpocicat

I only have an airline in my sorority tank because I also have neon tetras, blue tetras and a bristlenose pleco in there. The others just have a filter. You can either baffle it to slow down the intake or use a sponge on the filter, which will also slow it down.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #9 
Bramos

Thank you again! Im at work with my little fishy on my mind. LOL But I can honestly say, I have become such a big fan of this fish!.. as soon as I figure out how to post images I will show my tank. But I think you have a page for that. lol (Excited)