Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 
ZackyBear

Post Convict question

My neighbors has black convicts that are roughly a month old that he was ready to throw out. I decided to take them in but failed to do any research. I'm currently trying to cycle a tank and my 10 gallon has 6 mickey platys and portal primr in it andmy other 10 gallon has guppies.

What would be a safe way to temporarily house them? When they get big enough for a 10 gal? There were only 4 left that he didn't toss in his backyard

Also this just happened in the morning. I have them un a small tank with me at work until I get home

Last edited by ZackyBear; 06-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

(Archocentrus nigrofasciatus) Convicts are really neat cichlids, however, they are really aggressive and reproduce faster than guppies(100-500-every 4-6 weeks). They are really neat to watch them dig holes for the pit nest, tend/guard the nest then rear the fry. Gather them up in their mouth and spit them out....so much fun.....

If you plan on taking on the task of keeping this species of fish....you need to go ahead and get the proper tank for them now or at least within the next 30 days......

One pair needs at least 20gal, however, bigger is better and if you want to keep all 4....you need at least 2-20gal or at the least 75-100gal. They get big (4-6 inches) but you need the space more due to the aggression and unless you stock the tank with equally aggressive large species...it will be nothing but problems.

Right now-they should be fine in 5gal for a week or so-even if they are really small right now....they grow fast......and you might as well start with the bigger tank from the get-go......

Look forward to seeing pic...these are awesome fish....but can be a challenge due to aggressiveness and reproduction....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree on aggression. My one pair ripped up a 9" pleco- "armored" catfish. Unless you get in the 100 gallon range do not bother with other cichlids, these guys are just over the top, so to speak.
I would consider something similar to an african cichlid tank, lots of caves and crevices, except maybe use long pieces of driftwood to create a crazy underwater rooty forest- that'd be cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

I may find a home for two of them, since I'm already pushing my luck with my breeding. Thank you both for replying! I didn't know they were so aggressive. I'm actually very shocked...but I will take plenty of pictures when I get home tonight :)

EDIT:they won't attack me if I stick my hand in the tank, will they? Otherwise I'm going to have to get my Marimo out before I put them in.

Last edited by ZackyBear; 06-18-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If they are guarding a nest or fry...Yes, they will attack you...laffs.....Mine would attack anything that moved outside the tank too....well...at least try....lol.....and while the bite isn't too bad and never brought blood or anything like that....it will make you jump....lol.....For a rather small cichlid they can pack a punch......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Agree. Mine did fine in a community, UNTIL they spawned. (did not know anything about fish back then). These are one of the few cichlids that are still so bold, years ago most every cichlid would lunge at everything, owner and things around the tank included. Most have calmed down due to captive breeding, but not these guys.
They are tough buggers. If these are fry, you can try the group as a whole, unless you already know their genders. I would not keep a pair of them, inbreeding is bad for fish. You should be able to have 2 females, I don't know about two males, they should be okay in a bigger tank together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #7 
ZackyBear

I'll keep 2 sisters then. I just didn't want my neighbor to kill them like he did the others ....aggressive or not, he was being very cruel
Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #8 
Curlyfatbottom

Those fish reproduce like crazy
N grow really fast
Ive use to breed them in 10 gallon tank as feeder
The female have color belly redish pink
The male have pointy top n bottom fin n much bigger then the female
Great fish to have around if u raise catfish, bass or any big fish
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #9 
ZackyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
Those fish reproduce like crazy
N grow really fast
Ive use to breed them in 10 gallon tank as feeder
The female have color belly redish pink
The male have pointy top n bottom fin n much bigger then the female
Great fish to have around if u raise catfish, bass or any big fish
Uuuhg I forgot to take pictures. I just got home, stuck them in an isolated breeder net and passed out for the night. They looked good this morning x.x

Also, feeder? As in....feeding their fry to other fish? o.o
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 
Curlyfatbottom

Yep as feeder
The comet are hard to breed in tank
N the guppies don't produce fast enough with great number plus they are really small
Convict have size n number
Buying food for a 2 16" bass
Few catfish will add up quick
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote