Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #11 
Cargo

Plants absorb ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so they will pretty much act as your filter up until the filter is established. It won't necessarily be a cycle since it is heavily planted.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #12 
CharleneEchols

You were on my thread there, weren't you Olympia? Go look at it now if you were. I was extremely polite in telling them I knew what I was getting myself into but they just kept coming. I have the means to re-home them if things don't work out I am NOT a bad fish owner. It was terribly frustrating that they were so rude to me.
CharleneEchols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #13 
Mo

It was terribly frustrating how injorant you were in that thread
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #14 
CharleneEchols

I'm not being ignorant and I'd appreciate it if you don't start it here. I am capable of providing an adequate home for my fish.
CharleneEchols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #15 
Mo

Sorry. To stay in topic. I dnt know if you've seen it, but there is a thread in the habitat subforum with a list of a bunch of plants available at Petco/petsmart
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

I would do 5 girls in a tank like that, they need places to hide and places to make their own territory. I had a heavily HEAVILY planted, heated filtered and cycled 40 gal tank with 11 girls, and other community fish. And one day two of my girls started with the others and it was a blood bath. Now Thats with plenty of hiding spots and plants. Plus its best to keep an odd number of girls. If you are doing a sorority I would advise going for girls who are used to being kept together. The girls at petco/petsmart/lps usually are kept alone and once they get used to that, they get worse than the boys when it comes to agression. I have two girls left over from my sorority, and they will kill anything and everything that moves. While some of my boys are perfectly happy in community tanks and just mind their business, unless I drop shrimp in LOL FOOD!

Anyways, I would try a NPT OldFishLady knows THE MOST about that I would pm her. I have my 10 gal communtiy planted, not an NPT though. That will be my future project.

I guess my advise would be to watch out for the girls, and take your time introducing them. I really would advise against such a cramped space for 8 girls bc they will kill each other and no one wants that. Take your time and I would make sure your plants grow out before you add the girls, make sure you have tons and TONS of cover, to break up the line of sight, top middle and lower level plants. Also try to get some driftwood or anything that would create hiding places for the girls.

Keep us updated on what you do and how it goes!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Charlene, I'm sorry that you felt attacked over at TFK. People here are very passionate about fish and can sometimes come off as sounding rude when really they just have the best interest of the fish at heart. Good luck with everything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #18 
Shadyr

Are your fish already purchased? If not, and odd numbers ARE recommended, would 7 be a bit better?

Good luck at any rate, a sorority is on my to-do list, but the big family vacation is looming and I am just hoping our 4 males and one frog are alive when we come home. If we survive that, THEN sorority
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote