Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #1 
goldentryst

New Life Spectrum Pellets

How many pellets per meal do you feed your betta fish?

How many times per day do you feed him/her?
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #2 
deso

When I'm home all day, I give my boy one pellet in the morning, one at lunch, one for tea-time, and one at dinner, but on days that I'm not around much, it's two in the morning and two at night. I mix NLS with Atison's Pro for variety, which is roughly the same size. It's a pretty small pellet, so if your fish is big or a giant, you may want to up the feeding to 5 or 6 pellets per day, split into multiple feedings.

Make sure you're able to watch your fish actually eat the pellet, because NLS sinks really fast and can be swept underwater onto the bottom before your fish notices it's there.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
When I'm home all day, I give my boy one pellet in the morning, one at lunch, one for tea-time, and one at dinner, but on days that I'm not around much, it's two in the morning and two at night. I mix NLS with Atison's Pro for variety, which is roughly the same size. It's a pretty small pellet, so if your fish is big or a giant, you may want to up the feeding to 5 or 6 pellets per day, split into multiple feedings.

Make sure you're able to watch your fish actually eat the pellet, because NLS sinks really fast and can be swept underwater onto the bottom before your fish notices it's there.
Oh wow, because the pellets are so small I thought even 4-5 pieces per meal (I feed up to two times a day) was just adequate. xD And yes, the pellets seriously do sink fast!
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #4 
yayagirl1209

I feed my boys 5 to 6 pellets twice a day. Because of their semi-floating nature, I feed them one at at time. A bit tenuous but less likely for the pellets to sink if they've only got one target at a time. My plakat has a tendency to "attack" his food causing more "waste"...he's got horrible aim. I was originally feeding him Hiarki betta pellets for that reason. But once I started the single pellet feedings, his aim has improved a bit. My DT is very gentle grabbing his pellets (unlike when I feed him bloodworms). Luckily both of my boys are pretty good at stalking the pellets when they begin to sink. Good luck figuring out a feeding pattern/schedule that works best for you and your betta.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #5 
ravenwinds

I feed my bettas about 4 pellets 2-3 times per day. They do sink fast! I switch out w/frozen treats such as bloodworms or live treats such as grindal or white worms about once a day. I also use NLS community or therapy NLS for a bit of variety. I usually give about 2-3 pellets at a time as my bettas seem to relish the "hunt" for the pellets (they are hunters in the wild). Some of my bettas seem to really enjoy swimming and whipping about as fast as they can, making a game of it!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

My boys also seem to enjoy attacking the pellets. I feed my boys 4-5 NLS pellets in a sitting. I have one betta who is really prone to bloat, so he only gets 2-3 in a sitting. I have one boy who is slightly sight-impaired (iridescence over the eye), and on bad days he can have a lot of trouble seeing the pellets. I have Omega One for those days.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 
ZackyBear

I feed 3 pellets twice a day. I fast him on sundays since sometimes, I sneak an extra 1 or...5 xc

He can't get enough of them!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #8 
Shadyr

Those are in my rotation - they get 4 or 5 of those tiny ones where I would usually give 3 Aqueon or Betta Buffet ones.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote