Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

New Betta not eating

I've got 4 new females in QT. one is not eating. I understand it is normal but she is the only one of all the bettas I have and had that didn't way right away.

After how long should I be concerned? She has a stress stripe (she's my profile pic) my other betta has a stress stripe but she's eating fine. They've both had the stripes since I bought them.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 
Spazzfish

My female had stress strripes for like ever when i first got her she settled inn and is now a deep purplish color. Try tapping the pelet are you sure she noticed it?
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzfish View Post
My female had stress strripes for like ever when i first got her she settled inn and is now a deep purplish color. Try tapping the pelet are you sure she noticed it?
She swims to the bottom every time I take the lid off (the QT tank needs the lid taken off to feed them) but once I left it off and she swam to the top. I dropped a pellet in there right in front of her face an she didn't touch it. I even tried giving her a flake but she didn't touch it either. Luckily I'm doing frequent water changes every other day, so don't worry about ammonia build up.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 
MistersMom

a couple of my fish are like that, but ive noticed after its been in there a while, they eat it, i guess they like them soggy? i dont know..
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
a couple of my fish are like that, but ive noticed after its been in there a while, they eat it, i guess they like them soggy? i dont know..
Who knows.. She's letting them sit there until they sink. Idk she's only been there one day but I'm a worrier. xP
Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 
Kenny G

Its perfectly normal when you first get a betta for them not to eat for a few days. If she swims to the bottom of the tank every time you take the lid off to feed her it tells me that she is not comfortable with you and her new surrounds yet. My Junior was the same way. Now I can stick my hand in his tank and he does not move. Remember bettas are sold in solitary cups/jars when we first buy them in pet stores and are not used to being in groups. Just give her a few more days for her to become adjusted.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Its perfectly normal when you first get a betta for them not to eat for a few days. If she swims to the bottom of the tank every time you take the lid off to feed her it tells me that she is not comfortable with you and her new surrounds yet. My Junior was the same way. Now I can stick my hand in his tank and he does not move. Remember bettas are sold in solitary cups/jars when we first buy them in pet stores and are not used to being in groups. Just give her a few more days for her to become adjusted.
That makes a lot of sense! She must be shy :)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

As Kenny said, it's pretty common for them to not eat for a few days after bringing them home. She may hide a lot until she gets used to her new surroundings.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Sorry haven't updated this in a long time. She died on Friday, I went and bought another that looked exactly like her that died the same day and the other betta that was similar to her died yesterday of dropsy. They all came in the same shipment; wherever they came from must've not taken very good care of them at all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! I'm sorry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote