Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 
rowansd

eek, I have babies!!!

Where to start with my little saga......
A little while back I bought 7 Female bettas to start a sorority. So far so good, I was having some problems with fighting and ended up separating them into different groups to figure out who would get along with who. I lost a couple and ended up with 3 in the 20 gallon they were meant to be in, and still had two in a 5 gallon. They seemed fine, and then I see a bubble nest and being the brainiac I am, still didn't clue in. I am thinking "wow that female must be really aggressive or dominant or something.." So I remove the other female and leave the bossy "FEMALE" alone. Forward to Sunday afternoon when I take the lid of to do something and see little squiggles in my tank. BABIES!! Then I clue in that OMG that is not a female (duh)
So I freak out of course, do some reasearch, throw a moss ball and snail in the tank, and Monday go get some BBS eggs which I have managed to keep hatching (daily) until now.
I have of course taken the male out. They seem to be eating the brine shrimp OK. My big question right now is about my filter. I stopped my filter and put in a air stone Sunday night. Do I really need to put in one of those underwater foam filters or can I just put some mesh over my filter intake, so my babies don't get sucked up. And turn it back on as low as it will go?? It is just a little filter to begin with. And lastly that MALE still doesn't look like a male to me, I am not an expert by any means I only go by fins and his are just as short as the girls!!!
rowansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
tpocicat

Sounds like your male might be a plakat. I once bought a female through Aquabid that turned out to be a male plakat.
Best of luck with the babies.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowansd View Post

Where to start with my little saga......
A little while back I bought 7 Female bettas to start a sorority. So far so good, I was having some problems with fighting and ended up separating them into different groups to figure out who would get along with who. I lost a couple and ended up with 3 in the 20 gallon they were meant to be in, and still had two in a 5 gallon. They seemed fine, and then I see a bubble nest and being the brainiac I am, still didn't clue in. I am thinking "wow that female must be really aggressive or dominant or something.." So I remove the other female and leave the bossy "FEMALE" alone. Forward to Sunday afternoon when I take the lid of to do something and see little squiggles in my tank. BABIES!! Then I clue in that OMG that is not a female (duh)
So I freak out of course, do some reasearch, throw a moss ball and snail in the tank, and Monday go get some BBS eggs which I have managed to keep hatching (daily) until now.
I have of course taken the male out. They seem to be eating the brine shrimp OK. My big question right now is about my filter. I stopped my filter and put in a air stone Sunday night. Do I really need to put in one of those underwater foam filters or can I just put some mesh over my filter intake, so my babies don't get sucked up. And turn it back on as low as it will go?? It is just a little filter to begin with. And lastly that MALE still doesn't look like a male to me, I am not an expert by any means I only go by fins and his are just as short as the girls!!!

A foam filter would be best. The problem with one of the mesh or foam intakes is that the fry will get stuck on them and perish...

A foam filter is available for 10 bucks or less.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 
rowansd

[/IMG]
Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowansd View Post
The first one didn't work :o so I fixed it.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #6 
rowansd

thanks, I have problems with pics for some reason! I did post a pic titled my female who is not! in the pictures section
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

What's a Foem Filter? I never heard of that type of Filter before...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 
rowansd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
As far as I know(hope I got it right, cause I just put one in) it is any little filter that you put right in your tank..not hang on the back, or undergravel) and use a little loose carbon and foam in it. and instead of an impeller sucking water up and through it, you run your air tube into it. So the air blows through it (at this point I don't know how it cleans the water) lol , it just filters some how!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #9 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
A Foam filter uses... foam like a sponge, and air will move water through it. It filters some particulate, but mostly it houses benificial bacteria for biological filtration. Bacteria break ammonia down into first nitrite, and then nitrate. Nitrate is much less toxic to fish than the ammonia, but must still be eliminated by water changes. Plants will consume some of the nitrate, but it would take a huge quantity of plants to eliminate it all. Also when you change water in your tanks... I like to take the used water and put it on my house plants, and plants outside as well. The Nitrate is great for them! There are many hydroponic systems that use fish in water to keep plants fed to provide veggies for people... Talapia is a popular fish for this.

Your under gravel filter does essentially the same thing, but the bacteria live on the gravel. In a spawning tank usually there is no gravel so as to keep the fry safe and clean.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #10 
Fabian

Is that your "female" betta your talking about in the picture above?
If yes,it looks like a male plakat to me.
I could be wrong,but the anal seems too long for a female.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote