Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #1 
vilmarisv

Angry Horrific moment -and- Petco just got worse!

I went to Petco today thinking I needed AQ salt. Of course, once I get there I realize I forgot I had purchased it last week.

Anyway, I was looking at the bettas as usual and noticed new little betta cup that don't have the descended airhole in the middle and at first sight I thought it was great because sometimes employees fill the cups with too much water so no air comes in the cups. These cups have the holes in the lid but upon closer inspection I see that the cup has a raised center on the bottom (like coke cans but deeper) instead of flat like before.
They are also smaller and since the employees probably get NO trainning they are still filling the cups half full so the bettas have very little water.
The cup on the top is the "new and improved" cup and the bottom one is one of the old ones.

If you look close, the crowntail male in the top cup is TINY I had never seem such tiny fish in the store. And they aren't small, they are YOUNG. Some females looked like 2 month old fry.

I was getting weird looks from other customers because I was placing all dead fish on top of the sink in the aquarium section. One smartbutt of a customer asked me if I worked there, I told him "No, I just think the fish are kept under very bad conditions. Don't you think?" and I showed him the dead betta in the cup. He probably thought I was crazy but I DONT CARE!!

Some of the "old" cups were filled with water too much so no air could come in . I also took those to the sink and poured out a little of the water. No employee approached me at any moment.

Then as I was taking my last look around to make sure the fish were in a little better condition than when I came in I noticed a cup with an unsecured lid. I picked it up to seal and I see no fish!!
I quickly start looking around the other cups, the shelves and on the floor thinking that the poor habitant jumped out after someone left his lid open.
I gave up, couldn't find him, so I do my last lookaround and notice another cup with too much water and a very active King betta.
I grabbed the cup to take to the sink and empty out when to my HORROR I see the missing fish inside with the King betta!
I was so upset I ran to the fish lady and start yelling "Someone put two bettas together, someone put two bettas together!!"
So I grabbed an empty cup and separated the two males.
The employee looks at me and says "Oh, no. Why would someone do that?" and I said, "Because some people are mean and heartless."
The poor fish had no tail! He was all chewed up. Who knows how long he was in that cup with the King, I was about to cry.
I told the employee to get me some AQ salt. She said she didn't have any but had the great iniciative to get one of the little cups that they have in the tanks out so I could pour some salt into the betta's water.
I told her the betta was gonna need the same thing I did for him done everyday and she asured me she would take care of it.
Maybe she was humoring a "mad" woman but she seemed sincere.
I had NEVER had such a bad visit to a petstore, it was horrible.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #2 
bloo97

Urgh...
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #3 
doggyhog

I would write a letter to petco and complain. Some people have had great results with that.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 
Drift

I can't believe you didn't take him home! I wouldn't have resisted not to.
I do the same thing though and place any dead fish at the counter and give them dirty looks. They hate me there. :D
I haven't seen those new cups by me yet. =/ Hopefully I won't.
You did a good thing today though. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I would write a letter to petco and complain. Some people have had great results with that.
I just did. I sent them the picture too. I hate that they limit how much you can write on their website, I had a LOT to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I can't believe you didn't take him home! I wouldn't have resisted not to.
I do the same thing though and place any dead fish at the counter and give them dirty looks. They hate me there. :D
I haven't seen those new cups by me yet. =/ Hopefully I won't.
You did a good thing today though. :)
I felt terrible about not being able to bring him home but I don't have an extra tank or an extra heater. If I had, I would've demanded the employee to give him to me for proper care. I did what I could at the moment and really wish I could've done more.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #6 
naturegirl243

Wow! That sounds awful people can be so heartless! Hopefully the poor boy gets proper care. And wow that one crowntail is super tiny. I love my petco they take hood care of there bettas they always are really nice and have clean water and usually they find homes quickly. I have only found one dead one.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #7 
Drift

You have better self control than I do. XD You did do the best you could and I hope they really do take good care of him. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 
kuklachica

Call the store manager as well. Also, call Petco's hotline 18887369834. I work at Petco and complain to my manager when the other employees don't fill the cup all the way. I complained to HQ [before i worked there, last december] about the horrible care at the petco (dozens of dead fish i had to pull out myself, as you did). Got a call back from the store manager, worked everything. Great care since. I even got a job there, so that is a sign of a good manager, able to take constructive feedback, change practices, and even hire the person doing the complaining. Give the manager a chance to know hear about this. Sometimes they just don't know. And I hate those new covers.... more water can be put in, but the air holes are tiny, AND you have to completely take them off to feed them.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #9 
Eveh

I can't believe this. I went to the pet store (pet co maybe?) and actually went to go buy a tank for my goldfish. I saw a bunch of fish in tanks together but couldn't find the bettas. My mom pointed them out to be above the sink. All of the bettas are in cups and like you said I noticed that there was an empty cup with nothing in it. I also noticed every cup was open. I felt so bad for the bettas. I would never want to be kept in a CUP. SO I chose one and brought him home. The cashier lady was very helpful but she said to but my 2 comet fish and my betta TOGETHER. Once i got home I asked people on a website and they said to keep them apart. I'm just happy that I "saved" a betta.
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote