Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 
Nuts4Mutts

Food Opinions?

I'm sure some of you have seen my beginner threads around here, asking dumb questions, etc... so I'm sure you're aware that I am a brand new first-time betta owner.

What food do you guys feed your bettas? Right now, I give him "Zoo Med micro floating betta pellets" he will only eat about 3-4 a day so far [I gave him a dried bloodworm a couple times & he turned into Mr. Picky, ONLY wanting the worms]. So I've been told just keep feeding him as much as he'll eat at a time (so far the max he's eaten at once is 2) and take out any extra food.

What are some favorite foods of your guys' bettas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

One more thing - does anybody ever give their bettas mosquito larva? I read on a betta site that they absolutely LOVE those. If I can get a few positive opinions on them, then I'm going to try finding a few eventually when they're out.

Okay, sorry for being the dumb newbie around here. Thanks for any kind helpful advice (remember -please don't get too naggy with me, I'm a brand new owner, gimme some slack )
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

My Betta likes ALL of his Foods. So far, I've only seen him jump for Bloodworms and Flakes. Need to try with a Pellet. His favorite seems to be Freeze-Dried Bloodworms. He never got Bloated by them. I only give him 2 a Day if I feed him that. Lebron just got Fat yesterday because of 2 Big Flakes. -_- He's back o Normal now. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #3 
Eveh

So far I only feed my betta Wardley Betta Food and I give him 2 pellets in the morning two at night. he eats 3-4 each day. The cashier at PETco recommended the food and she said she has that food and had her betta for 2 years and still has some left. But then again she also recommended to put my goldfish and betta in the same tank 8/
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 
Nuts4Mutts

@Lebron: I'm trying to avoid flakes for now [if he gets picky enough then I might give him some just for a change though...] because they tend to help make the water dirtier faster.

@Evah: Okay, so 4 is a good amount for him. Phew. =) Wow... putting Goldie the fish with Betta the Fighter?... Hm, maybe you'd wanna do that if you wanted a dead fish.... 0.o

Then again, my friend had got these 2 bettas & his mom put them both in the same bowl, he told me the story of one eating the other like it was a shocker, as if he was expecting them to just live happily together. Seriously? That's why they're called Siamese FIGHTER Fish...... =\
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Mosquito larva are fine to feed...that is about all I feed to all my fish in the warmer months....Be sure and give them a rinse before feeding....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

My larger ones get omega one super color floating tropical fish pellets. The younger bettas get hikari baby pellets. And everyone gets frozen blood worms 2 x a week.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveh View Post
So far I only feed my betta Wardley Betta Food and I give him 2 pellets in the morning two at night. he eats 3-4 each day. The cashier at PETco recommended the food and she said she has that food and had her betta for 2 years and still has some left. But then again she also recommended to put my goldfish and betta in the same tank 8/
Wow. Not to mention goldfish need cooler temps than bettas.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 
Eveh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Mutts View Post
@Evah: Okay, so 4 is a good amount for him. Phew. =) Wow... putting Goldie the fish with Betta the Fighter?... Hm, maybe you'd wanna do that if you wanted a dead fish.... 0.o
Ya she told me that and I'm like yay 2 for 1!! When I got home I asked people on a different website and they said NO WAY. So ya. The girl also told me that if I have an orange betta and my 2 orange goldfish they'll attack one another because of the color. So I got a blue one -.- Not trusting HER again o.o

Edit: Oh an one of my goldfish's name is Goldie the other is Spud (my Sister named them (no, no, I'm the youngest, my 24 year old sister))
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #9 
Nuts4Mutts

@Eveh: Wow... that's no smart gal there at the petstore 0.0 Hahahaha.... Goldie! Wowwwww that's such a creative name, I mean... who woulda thought calling their GOLDfish GOLDie? lol! Ok sry, just tryin' to mess with ya - I'll be nice now.... =D
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #10 
marktrc

i started with wardleys pellets 2-3 twice a day. the pellets are on the large size and inconsistent. they usually end up biting the pellets to break it up cause they cant swallow its big size. i still alternately feed them this because they still eat it but less enthusiastically then hikari pellets. (see below)

then i bettamin flakes because someone gave me a smaller betta that was brought up on flakes. at first he only at flakes. once i gave him a pellet he didnt want to eat flakes. if he did eat the flakes, hed spit alot of it out and it ended up on the bottom of the tank.

then i bought hikari betta pellets. these are smaller floating pellets that are more consistent in size. the 3 bettas i currently have can swallow them whole. even the younger one. i feed them 3-6 pellets twice a day. they jump out of the water for hikari pellets. they didnt jump for the wardleys.

they get freeze dried tetra blood worms during the day as a treat but only a few. they have not had problems with bloating. (but next time im getting blood worms that says free of harmful parasites on the label)

im sure there are other brands and types that are great. I want to try attison pro eventually. but that is what i have tried so far.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote