Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #1 
mlasater

Fins turning red??

Hello everyone,

I am currently treated my fish for fin rot with Kanaplex. He's been on it for 4 days now. His fins are starting to turn red which is a sign of fin rot I think, but I'm treating him for that. Is it possible that the medicine is actually making it worse?? He didn't have as much red before I started the medication.

I'm getting very worried.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Morgan
mlasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #2 
Kenny G

It is possible that the Kanaplex is starting to do more harm than good. If you feel his fin rot has stabilized then I would take him off the Kanaplex and start using Betta Betta fix remedy its an all-natural treatment. Also try to keep the water temp between 80-82 degrees for a few days.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

I don't believe red is a fin rot sign. I think it could be either ammonia issues or just his regular coloring. I have never heard of it being a part of fin rot. What size tank is he in and how often do you do water changes?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #4 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
I don't believe red is a fin rot sign. I think it could be either ammonia issues or just his regular coloring. I have never heard of it being a part of fin rot. What size tank is he in and how often do you do water changes?
I've been doing 100% water changes every other day. I've heard of ammonia burns and stuff like that but I think my water is fine. I used test strips and they tested for general hardness, another type of harndness (sorry I forget what it is), PH, and two types of nitrate. All tested fine.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

He may just be changing color. A lot of betta's get whats called red wash in this community. If you get to worried PM a moderator and they will put you in the right direction to get help or piece of mind. I would PM a Mod in case it is the Kanaplex that is doing it though.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6 
mlasater

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
He may just be changing color. A lot of betta's get whats called red wash in this community. If you get to worried PM a moderator and they will put you in the right direction to get help or piece of mind. I would PM a Mod in case it is the Kanaplex that is doing it though.
What do you mean by PM a moderator? Sorry I'm new here lol

Thanks for the advice,
Morgan
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

No problem. Send a private message to a Moderator. They are found in bold on the main page that shows who is online. It's a box in the bottom left corner. Click on one of them and you should see something that says send a private message. Dramaqueen and Byron are online right now. Both great people. Actually all of them are nice.

Click on one of the names in bold (Mod)

Go to contact info and click send a private message. Sometimes it's helpful to include a link to this thread so they can see what you wrote. So, copy and paste a link to this thread to your private message too.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 
lelei

Hmm, can you by any chance post a picture so we can see what kind of red, like throughout the fins, or in places, also do you see any red in the eye, It's weird that I am wondering that in a way too, ok, I am in the process of also treating with AQ (Aquarium Salt) for fin rot, and it's been 3 days, my VT is in a 1.75 gal Kritter Keeper, and he is swimming and eating much better, and now he is developing some red in his fins..so i thought that is was his color coming out, and I also thought he's be a pure blue, now it's looking like a blue/red color..? I am also going to post a picture of the most recent one I took today day 3 of treatment.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 
lelei

Question Does this Fishy Look Ok

This is the rescue blue VT that is being treated with AQ salt..but recently he has this red coming out of his face?? Not sure if this is natural looking or is there something wrong??

But if you look in his fins, the lower ones, there is some reddish color blending in..I think..I ddidnt see this yesterday..and I am confused, and worried
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Hmm, can you by any chance post a picture so we can see what kind of red, like throughout the fins, or in places, also do you see any red in the eye, It's weird that I am wondering that in a way too, ok, I am in the process of also treating with AQ (Aquarium Salt) for fin rot, and it's been 3 days, my VT is in a 1.75 gal Kritter Keeper, and he is swimming and eating much better, and now he is developing some red in his fins..so i thought that is was his color coming out, and I also thought he's be a pure blue, now it's looking like a blue/red color..? I am also going to post a picture of the most recent one I took today day 3 of treatment.
Yes! This is exactly what's happening with me. I'm not using AQ salt but the redness is showing on his face/eyes a bit and on his fins about the same areas as well. When I first got him he was solid blue. Over the years he's gotten some red and back then I was very uneducated on caring for bettas and now, years later, he's starting to get even more red. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Tags
fin rot, fins, kanaplex, red