Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1 
Nuts4Mutts

Question on PetCo?

Okay, I live about an hr away from the nearest Petco, so it's a treat for me to go. I went there a few weeks ago to look around, and that's what got me wanting a betta. I decided to buy the setup local [get more one-on-one advice, and support a family-business], but since their bettas were so pretty, I wanted to go back & buy the betta from them. (I actually found a local betta who was beautiful, so I just bought him & didn't go back)

I kinda wanted to go back though, to ask them "How do you feed all your bettas?" Because there were bettas stacked all over the store... at least 4 places they were. Each place had around 30-50 bettas in their containers all stacked up. So I really wanted to ask them how in the WORLD do they make time to feed ALL those bettas!?

Since I'm not gonna be going back anytime soon, I'll just ask you guys =) Do any of you know how they manage to feed all the bettas? My assumption is they only feed 'em a few times a week since it looks so tedious...

Sorry for the stupid question, but thanks for any answers! [even if you don't know for sure, guesses are always a start....]
Nuts4Mutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well for the self run business here, he feeds once a week with flakes. I've never seen the bettas in chain stores in larger areas feed theirs... If they do, I suspect it would be about the same
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
MameJenny

I've observed that some Petco and Petsmart stores will use some sort of slow-dissolving pellet food. It looks a little like those slow-release vacation food blocks. When I went into Petco just before closing time once, I actually saw an employee doing betta water changes and putting in new pellets. Has anyone else seen this?
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #4 
lelei

Wow..seriously I can only imagine, how long it takes to carefully change all the water in the cups and feed them all.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 
MameJenny

I know! Especially when they get a new shipment and have 20-30 betta cups. I'm lucky enough to have a very good Petco near me that always has high-quality, healthy bettas in clean cups. They take very good care of their animals there, and I definitely admire whoever has to clean the betta cups.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Wow..seriously I can only imagine, how long it takes to carefully change all the water in the cups and feed them all.

Yeah unfortunately not all stores do clean them...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 
lelei

The VT's are all overlooked, and they are always on the bottom of the rack..and the CT's are usually at the top at our PETco, and the VT's are the ones that are sickly looking, with some of the worst cases of fin rot..u can see rotted fins in the cups..it's soo sad..and makes me so angry!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

They probably get a huge bucket of prepared water, take fish out, dump water, scoop water, fish in, pellet, lid.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
They probably get a huge bucket of prepared water, take fish out, dump water, scoop water, fish in, pellet, lid.
I was at petsmart when a shipment came in. The lady was changing the shipment water to new water. She had two buckets- one was empty, the other had clean water. She took the lid off of a Betta cup, put her hand over the top, turned it upside down over the empty bucket, let the water go into the bucket. Which left the fish inside the water less cup then refilled.

Not the way I wouldve liked her to do it but w/e.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Yeah I worked at Petsmart and that's exactly what we did, or so 'protocol' is. They were only cleaned once a week, the day the new shipments came in, but I tried to do them twice a week if we had time!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote