Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #11 
EllaFish

The "fuzz" is fine- even if it takes a while to come off. I don't think you need any stress coat stuff- I think that's for Bettas who jump out and don't get fuzzy.
By tired, I mean, maybe he's at the tank bottom, maybe he's on a leaf, but it's all normal as long as he still comes up to breathe from time to time. (Since they have gills, this could be a long time to time.) Everyone sleeps different.
I can't remember if mine ate very much at first, but if yours is not eating, try different foods and spread out the feedings more. If he NEVER comes up when there is food, this may be because it is tiring to go get it. If he's on the bottom you may want to try to push his food down. I have read that Bettas can live for two weeks without food, so while it is worrying, they usually pull through.

Thanks for the picture knitterly, at least I know my fish wasn't a special case. That's exactly what happened to my fish.
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #12 
asterflint

Wow that's amazing about your fish! I noticed that my fish got a tear in his fins and a piece or two broke off in the water. Also, the fuzziness on him is in patches now and it may have increased. I'm not sure he got any cuts. Some people mentioned that you should use aquarium salt when your fish jumps out, and some say not to. I feel as if I should because of the tears, but at the same time I don't want to upset him. He just lays on the bottom, breathing heavily but he's pretty lucid. I'm still so scared, but he's still alive after two nights, which I'm happy about! I added some conditioner which had aloe and green tea in it. Should I turn off the filter? Or move him to a smaller tank so he can get air better? He struggles to get it. He's currently in a 2.5 gallon tank. Thanks to all for your suppor and answers! :)
asterflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #13 
Knitterly

if he's spending a lot of time on the bottom struggling to breathe, I'd say smaller bowl and add some aq salt since it is supposed to help with gill function. I dont' think it would ever HURT him to use aq salt...
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #14 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

I would also check the water parameters and see if anything is amiss in the tank as well. There is usually a root cause for fish jumping, be it a small amount of ammonia or "dirty" water issues.

Glad he is back in the tank and doing well, it can take a while for it to get back to normal, assuming no major damage was done.

I had a BristleNose Pleco who spent a few days stuck in my bioball chamber on my wet dry sump. To this day, I have no idea how it got in there as the hole from the filter pad chamber to the bioballs was tiny! I forgot to put the prefilter cover on the overflow pipe which allowed him to get into the sump.

Lowering the temperature a bit can also help, the higher the temperature the less oxygen in the water..if you do lower the temperature do it slowly and only by a few degrees an hour.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 
asterflint

I'm trying all of these ideas! I am putting him in a 1/2 a gallon for a while until he is able to move better. I added the conditioner and some salt (I diluted it a bit...does that make a difference?) and I'll be moving him soon. Wish me luck!

Hopefully he jumped just because he was excited and not because of the water levels. I had changed his water the day prior to when he jumped, but I'll be getting it checked anyways.

I really appreciate all of you giving me helpful advice!! Thank you guys lots!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #16 
asterflint

I transferred my betta...he got really stressed out and it tired him out so much. He has a LOT of fuzziness, and I think maybe a sore on his back. Should I not have transferred him to the hospital tank with the salt??
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #17 
asterflint

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

My betta jumped out AGAIN. I can't even believe it. I have no idea what's wrong, I put him in a clean, conditioned, hospital tank with a heater and salt. I was leaving him alone because I didn't want to stress him out, but when I went to check on him before I went to bed, I saw that he had somehow jumped out. My betta was still wet. He lost some more of his coat, and when he was put back in, he swam around but is now is on his side, breathing really heavily. At least before he was upright.

I'm basically having a breakdown right now, and I really don't want to lose this fish, especially on my account, and because my father gave him to me. Please help, is there anything extra that I can do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I feel like the worst person right now that my poor betta is suffering so much. I thought he might have had a chance of pulling through since he survived four days after the ordeal, but now I just don't know.

Help!!! :(
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #18 
Maura

If you don't have a lid, get one. Make a lid if you can't get a lid.

If you already have a lid, don't open it. Your fish is now a known jumper; don't give him the opportunity to do so.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #19 
Knitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
If you don't have a lid, get one. Make a lid if you can't get a lid.

If you already have a lid, don't open it. Your fish is now a known jumper; don't give him the opportunity to do so.
Ditto to this. Go get some plastic needlepoint canvas from a craft store or walmart if you have to. Put something on top of it, like a pencil, or a shell, or something small. Just a little bit of weight will hold it down.

ALL of my bowls now have plastic covers since I know Boomer is a jumper. With my last male, I didn't have to cover it since he was a calm, placid guy who never jumped.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #20 
asterflint

Yeah, I had a top on it but there was a small space where he got out because the heater was sticking out of the smaller tank I had him in. I didn't think he would try to get out again because he had been so immobile and tired lately.

Sadly though, he died a little later. It's so sad, knowing that this could have been prevented. You never know they're jumpers until they're out of the tank! :(

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped!

Rest in peace to my little red betta.

Tags
jumped out of tank