Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Tetra Safe Start?

I was cycling my 10 gallon for many weeks and I just got impatient and discovered tetra safe start.

I added it on Monday and did a test today - 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate

I'm doing a small water change today- do you think it will be done soon?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E most of the cycling products are a waste of time and money-Often the number you see are more related to the product itself-than the true bacteria that you are wanting to colonize for the established nitrogen cycle..

In the 10gal-what kind of filter are you using, any live plants and if so-how many and what species and lighting used, additives you normally use, finial stocking plan and what kind of testing products are you using....How long has the tank been running.

When doing the fishless cycle-you don't need or want to make any water changes....

What was your ammonia source before you added the safe start...

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E most of the cycling products are a waste of time and money-Often the number you see are more related to the product itself-than the true bacteria that you are wanting to colonize for the established nitrogen cycle..

In the 10gal-what kind of filter are you using, any live plants and if so-how many and what species and lighting used, additives you normally use, finial stocking plan and what kind of testing products are you using....How long has the tank been running.

When doing the fishless cycle-you don't need or want to make any water changes....

What was your ammonia source before you added the safe start...

Can you post a pic....
I'm using "aquaculture 5-15 power filter with Bio-fiber biological filtration"
Incandescent lights (doesn't say wattage) but my el niņo fern, java fern, onion plant, anubias congenesis, and two amazon swords are doing well, they've been there 1 month.

Eventually will have sorority of 5 female bettas, I use API Master freshwater liquid test kit. Ammonia source is/was 1 female Betta & 2 nerite snails. Ammonia was at .25 ppm before adding safe start

Trying to get a picture, photobucket is complicated when using mobile
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Okay...you are doing the fish-in cycle....so you will need to make water changes......

Make sure you shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 reagent nitrate bottle...it can sometimes give false reading due to it settling and follow the direction to a "T".....

Since you have live plants that are actively growing-I suspect the nitrate reading you got was from the product and not true bacteria...

Along with your regular weekly 50% water change-I would add an extra 50% water only based on ammonia, nitrite of 0.25ppm and greater...When you have live active growing plants-sometimes you may not have nitrate reading due to them using ammonia before conversion.

Since you have live plants and the tank has been running for over a month-I would go ahead and stock it with the females you plan to add once they get out of QT.....Just monitor water prams and make the needed water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Okay...you are doing the fish-in cycle....so you will need to make water changes......

Make sure you shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 reagent nitrate bottle...it can sometimes give false reading due to it settling and follow the direction to a "T".....

Since you have live plants that are actively growing-I suspect the nitrate reading you got was from the product and not true bacteria...

Along with your regular weekly 50% water change-I would add an extra 50% water only based on ammonia, nitrite of 0.25ppm and greater...When you have live active growing plants-sometimes you may not have nitrate reading due to them using ammonia before conversion.

Since you have live plants and the tank has been running for over a month-I would go ahead and stock it with the females you plan to add once they get out of QT.....Just monitor water prams and make the needed water changes.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Tested again today- .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate
Newfemales have not been added yet, they need a few more days of QT.