Housing
What size is your tank? 6g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets. Once in a while he gets flakes and freezed dried bloodworms as a change. Sundays he fasts.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x's a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other days due to ragged tail.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? anywhare from 25%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat, aq/salt. I add tetra aqua safe water conditioner to the water that stores his future water changes.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: general 60, carbonate 80
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? from ragged fins which were healing after fin rot to just now, torn in half and very frayed tail.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago for fin rot, just now for torn or chewed fins
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aq/salt 1 tsp/g and stress coat for fin rot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him May 21/12
------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed my betta fish has had ragged fins for the last couple of weeks. I have been treating him with aq/salt after every other day water changes. I also started using stress coat about a week ago. He was making great improvement.
Just a few minutes ago, I noticed he has torn fins. Well his tail anyway. Today being his fasting day, I believe he chewed off his own tail. As I am writting this, I watched him chase his own tail.

Please any advice in treating him so he does not get tail rot again. In a 6g tank, how often should I do a water changes and how much? I fear treating him with aq/salt anymore since he was just treated with it.
Tank you for any and all help.
Spiritfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If you're sure he's Tail Biting, he is either Stressed or Bored. I would suggest more Hideouts for him and some more Decorations, or even a few Plants. To heal his Fins, VERY Clean Water and High-Protein Foods should do it. How many Days since you started the Aquarium Salt? The Limit is 10 Days. Any higher, it would damage his Organs. Since you have a Filter, Two 25% Water Changes a Week should be good. Or One 50% Change.
Hope he gets better!! :)

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 06-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 
Spiritfish

This is how he looked a few days ago.

This is what he looks like now.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 
Spiritfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
If you're sure he's Tail Biting, he is either Stressed or Bored. I would suggest more Hideouts for him and some more Decorations, or even a few Plants. To heal his Fins, VERY Clean Water and High-Protein Foods should do it. How many Days since you started the Aquarium Salt? The Limit is 10 Days. Any higher, it would damage his Organs. Since you have a Filter, Two 25% Water Changes a Week should be good. Or One 50% Change.
Hope he gets better!! :)

Thank you. He has quit a few silk plants and a little cave for hiding. The cave is not sharp but I think I may just take it out and put a coffee cup as it's more smooth.

I was doing water changes every other day since his fin rot so It's makes about 2 wks now since I started the salt treatments.
I hope he gets better too.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I've noticed the Plants behind the Betta. Are your Plants Fake? Are they Plastic? Plastic Fake Plants can rip you Betta's Fins.

EDIT: Late Response. I was too busy to click the reply button.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
Spiritfish

Yes the plants in his tank are fake but they are made of fabric. we got them at a pets-unlimited store