Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 
Cinomin

Unhappy Missing scales?

I have attached 2 pictures, it looks like some scales are missing from the top of her head... The first picture is her eating a pellet and though it's harder to see the top, it looked like the rest of her. The second picture, though blurry, you can see a patch missing/white patch (it's not fuzzy or fluffy looking).

Anyone know what is wrong? Or is this 'normal'? I like the little lady and wouldn't want her to be sick, or die, week one!

Housing
About 2 gallons, maybe 2.5 gallon tank, not sure the temperature. I have a filter, but it's old and I hardly run it- so no, no real filter.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? snail and live plant

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

I got her Monday and plan to do the first water change today.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Not sure what it should be, I've heard it should be 50%?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I don't have the bottle near, but I believe it is Ton Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no

Symptoms and Treatment
Day one Monday - looked nice and dark red all over. Tuesday no change, all good. Wednesday night looked like some scales are missing from the top of the head. Doesn't look white, looks more like something is missing.
Don't think the behavior has changed. She swims and roams the tank, eats when I put food in.
No treatment yet, don't know what to do as of yet, except change the water when I get off work.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought her Monday 5/21/12 at PetCo.
Attached Images

Cinomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 
ZackyBear

Usually when a betta loses a scale or something, their slime coat covers it to help with the healing. The white is the slime coat -w-

Just add a bit of stress coat after a 50-100% water change and she should be fine.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 
Cinomin

Thanks, I put some stress coat in after 100% water change this weekend. I'll see how she does.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 
Cinomin

Okay- how do you know if a snail is alive or dead? There's two in the tank. One (my original)moves and is active. The newer snail - I believe- hasn't moved since I put him in (early yesterday)?...
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 
Bladezero

If he's dead he'll slide out of his shell.. pick up your old one and put him on the new one.. My apple snails had the same thing.. just scared to come out..

He might be just sleeping tho :P

If he slides out take him out make to sure sniff him, don't worry you won't have a doubt if he's dead or alive after that :)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #6 
Cinomin

Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #7 
Cinomin

My snails died. Looks like a week ago. They didn't move in a week and when I went to clean the tank I picked them up and yeah totally dead