Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
mekashiyu

Setting up a new tank, just looking for some advice!

I've got a 10 gallon tank on its way for my two male bettas, I plan on dividing it and I'd like to use real plants because I've seen some absolutely gorgeous setups with them. However I have absolutely zero experience with a) divided tanks, and b) planted tanks. I've had my goldfish for years but they've always had fairly minimal decoration and fake plants, so beyond my basic artistic vision on what looks nice, I have no idea what setting up or maintaining a divided or planted tank entails.

Some of the questions I have are probably really basic and relate to the whole plant issue. Is gravel okay for the bottom or should I be using sand if I have real plants in it? Do they need any kind of extra nourishment in the tank just for them? And how do you even go about cleaning a planted tank or doing water changes if you can't empty it out entirely because of the plants (or can you)? Any advice on hardy plants for beginners would be nice, and of course any little tips for divided/planted tanks you can give would be appreciated, too. Because I have no idea what I'm doing, and research only goes so far. 8/
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 
laoshun

well you can use gravel with the real plants u just have to make sure the plants you choose are non-rooted or do not require high lights or fertilizers. here is a link to plants that require low maintenance and can be taken in and out of ur tank.
Most of the plants listed here are just stem plants that can be placed or floated in your tank, and easily removed.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98221
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote