Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
FateError

So am I at fault?

So yesterday I got into a car accident. I t boned the guy. BUT! I was at the mall, I was driving on the right lane, on the left lane, everyone wanted to turn left at the stop sign. I was driving straight and he came across from the other parking lot trying to get into the mall parking lot. But thing is, with all the cars on the left side, I didn't see him. End up hitting him. He moved his car and I moved mine right into the parking lot. We got out and talked, blah blah. I thought it was my fault cause I did hit him. So I admit it was my fault at the time. I didn't know. He wanted to settle things there but I said no and I want the cops to come and file a report. So a cop came, we both said what happened. The cop said he is at fault because he failed to yield. No matter what I was doing, i was driving straight and had the right of way. And he also got a ticket for failure to yield. I still took pics of my car, his car and the site it happened, even tho I moved my car.

He called me later today, saying that he got off the phone with my insurance. And he's like, so you're going to tell them that you admit it's your fault right? Cause that's what you said. I told him no, because the cop said he's at fault according to law. And that he also got a ticket for it. So now he's mad. I just off the phone with my mom. Saying that the insurance wants evidence, I told her that the cop made a report, I have the number to the case and stuff. The cop even said that he put down that he's at fault and he got the ticket. Also that the insurance says it doesn't matter what the officer says, it's how I hit his car. But he did not yield tho... So who's at fault?
FateError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 
djembekah

well it was his fault because he wasn't paying attention either. the cop said so, insurance agencies are just jerks who don't want to pay for things.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
FateError

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
well it was his fault because he wasn't paying attention either. the cop said so, insurance agencies are just jerks who don't want to pay for things.
So even tho I admit I was at fault first because I thought I was at fault doesn't matter. It's what the cop said so? I mean I have the report case file thingy he gave me. My mom says I am screwed now because I moved my car and didn't take a picture of where it happened exactly. But I did later take a picture of the site. So even after all of this, he is still at fault?

Last edited by FateError; 06-25-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 
Chibi

It's ok if you admit that it was your fault at first because you didn't know... The cop gave HIM the ticket and said that it was HIS fault. I think he's just trying to get out of this cause his prem is probably gonna go up. Don't worry, you have a report.... He was suppose to tell his insurance he got in an accident so they could contact you or you contact his insurance. I don't know why he called your insurance... o.O you might want to double check. Speaking from experience, when I got in my accidents, I was always contacted by the other party's insurance to be interviewed about what happened and etc.... Just stay calm and tell them what happened and what the police told you, that's the important stuff right there. Good luck :)
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 
FateError

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi View Post
It's ok if you admit that it was your fault at first because you didn't know... The cop gave HIM the ticket and said that it was HIS fault. I think he's just trying to get out of this cause his prem is probably gonna go up. Don't worry, you have a report.... He was suppose to tell his insurance he got in an accident so they could contact you or you contact his insurance. I don't know why he called your insurance... o.O you might want to double check. Speaking from experience, when I got in my accidents, I was always contacted by the other party's insurance to be interviewed about what happened and etc.... Just stay calm and tell them what happened and what the police told you, that's the important stuff right there. Good luck :)
I know he's trying to get out of it haha. I couldn't call his insurance last night because they don't have a 24 hour number. So I called my insurance and did a claim there. I have full coverage. But then later today I called his insurance. He's trying to use that I admit it was my fault at first. I told him no, because now the officer says he's at fault. He doesn't even care now.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

We had a similar experience. We were backing out of our parking spot at church and this van pulls out at the same time. My mom stopped and laid on the horn but the guy kept coming. There was no place we could go to get out of his way and he hit us in the back side of our car which was brand new at the time. We got out of the car and looked at the back of both vehicles and didn't see anything. We exchanged insurance info and left. We didn't call the cops. When we got home we discovered damage on the right side of the car. My mom tried to call the people and there was a message saying the number was no longer in use or something like that. So my mom called their daughter and finally got through to them. The man said there was no damage to his car and that he didn't see any damage to ours. So, the next day we get a call from the guy's wife and she said she went out and looked at their van and it did indeed have red paint marks on the back, proving that they hit our car and did damage. So their insurance company called and talked to my mom and asked her questions. They wanted to talk to the other people but for some reason they couldn't get hold of them.They said they'd send them a letter. After a few more days we took the car in to be fixed and their insurance paid.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

All I can say is WOW. What a jerk face.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 
FateError

The insurance says he's 100% at fault. He's trying to bring this to court trying to use that i said I admit it at first. But the officer has already said he's at fault no matter what. And the officers saying is correct. Am I right? The insurance today declared that he's at fault.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 
kfish

Lol, he can't take you to court over it. It'll be thrown out immediately. He ran a stop sign or yield or whatever he ran. It's blatantly his fault, no matter what you said. I do remember reading a checklist from the insurance company when I first started driving (my mother was like READ THIS MEMORIZE THIS READ THIS) and the first thing on there was, "Never admit fault." :P
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #10 
AngesRadieux

From what I understand, he was turning out of the mall parking lot when you hit him? If that's the case, he's the one at fault. You had the right of way. Basically, if an accident occurs when a driver is leaving a parking lot, making a turn at a stop sign, etc. according to the law the driver leaving the parking lot is always at fault. At least, that's how it works where I live. What you said or didn't say doesn't matter at all. It's not your job to know all of those laws, that's why you have the police come and file an accident report.

And it's a good thing you did have the police come. If you didn't, he could've nailed you for a hit and run. My guess would be that he knew he was at fault and told you he wanted to settle it without the police so he could get you for a hit and run later and that might have deflected some of the blame from him, especially because then you wouldn't have had the report and there would have been no paperwork to prove he was at fault. He sounds like a real jerk.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote