Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #1 
prodrumernate

ammonia levels stay the same

for those who have red a couple of my post know that my 10 gallon,filtered,heated sorority aquarium didnt last.all 5 of my girls died that i had in there..at first i couldnt figure out what killed them.but after reading the water chemistry basics post on here..they died from ammonia poisoning.i thought thats what it was but wasnt certain until now.

its been about a week after the deaths..i just checked my parameters earlier today...

ammonia-2
nitrite-0
nitrate-about a 1
ph-7.6

i did a 25-50% water change the last 3 or 4 days of my girls death,,it seemed the ammonia had dropped to about .5...but it has gone up again though there hasnt been any fish in it for almost a week.and i done about 2 water changes since then.

i cant seem to get it to go down or really change.im testing using API freshwater master test kit.picture of my setup is in my tanks section and should be in my albums as well.water temp is at about 79F..im using water conditioner to treat chlorine and chloramine.

tap water readings

ammonia-0
nitrate-0
nitrite-0
ph-7.6

i did research and fount out my water doesnt contain chloramine...

tanks been setup roughly 2 months now.any ideas why the ammonia has not changed?i also thought about putting a few rosy red minnows in it to do a fish-in cycle or to complete it..but i also want to keep them as pet fish.possibly to add a male betta in with them if i dont decide to add him in another tank.

any ideas to the ammonia levels and what to do?i researched,couldnt exactly fine anything.i thought about doing a DIY sponge filter since i have everal extra bubblers and pumps..but i figured the HOB filter should do the trick considering it came with the tank..
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 
prodrumernate

here are some pictures just in case anyone wants or needs to see..
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

ive done some research the past month and tried many things..i still have not been able to find anything new
Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

If your tank wasn't cycled before you put in your females and your tap water tests for 0ppm ammonia you were not doing frequent and large enough water changes. If you get any readings for ammonia with fish in the tank, especially at a pH above neutral, you need to change out as much water as you can to get it down to 0ppm. Same goes for nitrite, which is also toxic to fish in trace amounts.

If your ammonia is 2ppm a 25-50% water change is not going to touch that. I would have done two or more very large (think just enough water to cover your females) and would have continued to do this until you were getting consistent readings of 0ppm for ammonia.

However, you say your tank has been set-up for 2 months, was this 2 months with fish in it or 2 months running empty? Was the filter seeded with mature media before adding stock or brand new? Do you rinse off the filter media in tap water or replace it routinely?

Answers to these questions will help figure out what is going wrong.

I personally cycle tanks with a larger bioload by heavily planting with a variety of stems and floaters. These plants act as sponges and absorb a surprising amount of ammonia from the water column. It is often referred to as a silent cycle as if done correctly (enough plant mass, healthy plant mass) you never see any spikes of ammonia or nitrite.

I wouldn't put any fish through a fish-in cycle unless you are going to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0 the whole way through.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

i did notice a change rite at the end when i change a little more water a little more frequently.i just checked ammonia today and it dropped down to 1ppm.with the tank unstocked.

not realizing actually how long it takes.i let the tank cycle for a week.then added the girls within a few days as i looked for what i wanted at my LPS..

i didnt feed the filter or anything...straight tap water with water conditioner..when i rinse the filter i use old tank water..i put it in the old tank water as quickly as possible and back into the tank so the oxygen doesnt kill of the good bacteria.the only time tap water gets to it is when i do a large water change and dont have enough gallon jugs filled with water i have sitting for atleast 2 days..but when i do that i add water conditioner no matter what...

i dont have or use any live plants.just the artificial plastic plants in the picture above.a couple i let loose to float so the bettas have surface area to hide and escape any water flow..

i did for a while cover the filter outlet with aquarium sponge.leaving a small gap to allow some water to flow freely without it being too strong..eventually i learned that wasnt a good idea

now that i know i should change the water a little more often.i think it was my problem in the first place.i should have changed about 25% every other day or so instead of doing it once a week.