Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #11 
True Indigo

So, I just came back from the store.

Poor thing didn't make it over the night.

I talked to the fish manager who took care of the fish, he was extremely knowledgeable and definitely knew his stuff. He said he didn't just have Velvet but apparently suffered from internal parasites as well when they did a more thorough check up on him. He understood my concern and told me the same thing about not telling them if I plan on taking a sick fish that the fish itself is sick.

They treated him for fungal infection but in the morning when they checked on him, he was dead. We actually had a long conversation about fish and fish diseases too and he mentioned his own disappointment. He also informed me he doesn't mind when people are persistent about information and stuff about fish because he's actually glad there are people who take more invested time into things.

So, it's a learning experience, but in the end I wasn't able to save him. Even if I did take him in that day, his chances of survival would have been terribly low still.

Bleh...
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #12 
sparkyjoe

I'm so sorry. I wish it had turned out differently for you and him, but you tried.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 
True Indigo

Yeah, never saw a King Betta like that. He was three inches long and was brilliantly colored in purple and gold with a white mask. Even with his skin falling off on one side, he was a beautiful fish. The other Kings were nothing in comparison for him and I usually aren't attracted to the look of Kings at all but this guy was something else.

It's a shame but you're right. I did what I could.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #14 
jaela

Really keeping my fingers crossed for this guy. Hope he gets well enough soon for you to take him home.
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #15 
bettafishfinnatic

such a shame... i anted a hmpk at elmers and they said that icouldnt have hime because he had some crap in his gills.... his gilols seemed fine on he outside but learn a lesson and life gose on.. (:
bettafishfinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #16 
Shadyr

I really don't get that policy. They guarantee the fish for a month anyway, and will refund or replace if it dies. What does it matter if *this* one has a somewhat higher than normal chance of dying than any of the others? It won't be any more or less dead than if it dies in their "care" in the store. Plus if they sell it to you, maybe you'd also buy medicine to treat it!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

I love hearing stories like this from people who really care about animals and who are willing to fight for them. :) You are an absolute inspiration to anyone who gives a crap about animals, fish or otherwise. :)

On the other side, I'm so sorry that he died! I know that look...it's amazing how much those tiny little faces can say...I feel confident though that he knew that you cared, and that you did everything you could to help him.
I'm not going to get into any sort of religious debate here, but I have absolute confidence that many things happen for a reason, and that poor little man knows that you did all you could to help him. At least he's safe now, and he never has to worry about fungus or parasites or anything else ever again.
Still, I'm so sorry, I know you must be hurting for him. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #18 
LizzyP

If they haven't moved the fish off of their desk just...sneakily take said fish, quickly pay and leave. I really shouldn't say that, but if it's a sick fish, this calls for drastic measures.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote