Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Betta suddenly not eating, lazy, not opening tail?

One of my female bettas in QT was doing really well for awhile now. Yesterday and today she would not eat. All this time I've had her, almost a week now, she has been eating the pellets. Since she wouldn't eat them, I gave her hikari pellets (I don't like that brand but if she will eat it then w/e) she ate one, and they're BABY pellets. Today I put a hikari one right in front of her face and she swam away.

She is also not as active as before and she doesn't seen to open up her tail as much as before.

She's temporarily in a 2.5 gal Unheated (room temp 72 degrees) until I put her into the sorority. Could it just be the cold temp bothering her? Should I worry? I did a water change 75% yesterday and I've been doing them every 2-3 days
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Probably the temp. It is too cold, I have my betta indoors without a heater and the temp is at 76. Is she in front of an a/c vent? If you don't have a heater you can try to put her in front of a window. Although I know it's probably raining there right now.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Probably the temp. It is too cold, I have my betta indoors without a heater and the temp is at 76. Is she in front of an a/c vent? If you don't have a heater you can try to put her in front of a window. Although I know it's probably raining there right now.
Yes it is raining and I worry my cats will move around her tank o_o all my QT tanks are on a shelf that the cats cannot get to. I plan on putting them together tomorrow, maybe she will behave differently once shes floating in the heated sorority tank.

My parents keep the house at 74 degrees. She's not in front of an air vent :/

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 06-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

Lemme know how she does. If she's still acting funny after being warmed up then we can look into other things. :)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Lemme know how she does. If she's still acting funny after being warmed up then we can look into other things. :)
Thanks, that's actually what I was just thinking. I was worried about releasing her with the other girls. She had two sisters (well not positive sisters but came in same shipment with similar colors) that died due to believed pre purchase illness. But they died last week...

I'll let you know. I think I will have them a float around 8-9ish tomorrow morning. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

I think she has dropsy. I notice her scales are facing outwards. :'(
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 
xjenuhfur

Is she showing the other signs of dropsy? If so, here is the treatment from the sticky.
Quote:
Dropsy •Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. Thisis usually a fataldiseasecaused by an internal bacterialinfection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly. Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes(important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyesand a graybelly,I suggest thatyou treatitfor Dropsy. •Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below: Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole,forexample, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

It looks like the underside of her stomach is a little grey but she's got no swollen eyes. She is bloated and hasnt been eating.I can not have a tank any place else that is heated. I feel really bad. I feel my only options are to

Return her
Euthanize her
Treat her in a room temp Tank at 72 degrees

Idk what to do! Just looking at her makes my skin crawl! :(

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 06-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.