Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #11 
Aurie

I was doing research years ago about what to put in my (now divided 2 male betta) 10 gallon tank. I consulted with a lizard guy (herpatologist?) and he suggested "Carrot tail geckos" .. they may be hard to find, but are great lizards and that "nothing" else should be in a tank that small..

just my 2c
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #12 
copperarabian

If you wanted a snake instead of a 10g you could use a larger tub. Tubs help to retain humidity and are easy to clean. You can also get some really big tubs(like 4 feet across and 2 feet wide) for really cheap from target. It seems mean at first, but I've been talking to a lot of ball python breeders and also joined a ball python forum and they all generally agree that tubs are better than terrariums/aquariums for most snakes as long as they're nocturnal and don't need a full spectrum light bulb or like to climb trees.

Here's a pic from the forum. I use aspen in mine rather then newspaper, a ton of people use newspaper but I don't like it.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #13 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
If you wanted a snake instead of a 10g you could use a larger tub. Tubs help to retain humidity and are easy to clean. You can also get some really big tubs(like 4 feet across and 2 feet wide) for really cheap from target. It seems mean at first, but I've been talking to a lot of ball python breeders and also joined a ball python forum and they all generally agree that tubs are better than terrariums/aquariums for most snakes as long as they're nocturnal and don't need a full spectrum light bulb or like to climb trees.

Here's a pic from the forum. I use aspen in mine rather then newspaper, a ton of people use newspaper but I don't like it.
That does sound like a really good idea....
I signed up for HamsterHideout forum, even though I don't have a hamster, and I found out that people buy Rbbermaid storage bins to make hamster cages! They give them a good scrub, cut some squares out of the sides, use zip-ties to clamp down hardware cloth onto the openings, and they use it like a regular cage.
And it works because it provides lots of shade if it's dark-colored, and they can be easily replaced if they get chewed or smelly. Plus if they fall off a desk (Eeeep!) they won't smash into itty bity pieces like a glass tank would.
Oh, and also, you can just connect a bunch of storage bins throughout your room if you have hamsters and would like to make some giant enclosure ;D
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote