Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1 
mekashiyu

Hi there. :3

Well I'm terrible at introductions but I really want to say hi to everyone here, so here we go. Hi. :3

I've been browsing around here for the past three days and I've learned a ton of helpful information. I've had a total of one betta in the past - a female, around seven or eight years back - who unfortunately died after only a few days. I hate seeing any animals die, and so her death kind of turned me off of bettas, and I've been attached to my lovely comet goldfish ever since (oldest one is seven years!).

All the excitement in winning some new comets from the fair two weeks ago has piqued my interest in fishkeeping again, and when I found out fish were allowed at our desks at work once again (we haven't been allowed for almost three years now), I figured a betta would be just the perfect thing. But after some research, I've realized that they clearly need a lot more attention than I'd first thought, and I noticed that the bettas some people have on their desks at work are definitely not in the best shape or living conditions considering we don't have plugs for heaters/filters and have limited space for bowls/tanks. I want to make sure my little boys grow up happy and healthy just like my comets, so I'm keeping them here at home in nice climate-controlled comfort. :D

Anyway I got a bit carried away with that rant there. Have some pictures of my little babies!

They're just hanging out in a little divided half-gallon tank for now while I get their permanent home set up, but I've been keeping a good eye on them and all seems well with their water quality for the time being.

After throwing names back and forth for three days, my friend and I finally decided to name them Sherlock and Moriarty, and they are definitely doing much better than the bettas I've grown up seeing in little bowls everywhere. They're fairly camera shy though, so it took a bit of sneaking around to get good pictures. XD

But yes, there we go. Hopefully these two'll do just fine and my faith in bettas (and my ability to care for said bettas) can be restored.

And just to finish it off, have this picture of a very very pretty Sherlock fleeing the big scary (not really) digital camera:

Hope to see you all soon! :D
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Hello there! Welcome to the wonderful world of PROPER Betta keeping. Your babies are beautiful! Be careful, bettas are addictive.

Be sure to do DAILY water changes, as that small of a tank with TWO bettas will build up ammonia very fast! Good luck with your babies, if you need any advice there are many experienced fish keepers on the forum to help you out :3
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 
mekashiyu

Thanks, this seems like a great positive community (unlike some fish-related sites I've come across while researching), so I don't think I'd even be nervous asking for help if I need anything.

As it stands I'm doing daily ammonia tests on their tank until my 10 gallon is ready, and they don't seem to have any complaints so far (other than getting a little miffed when I nudge their decorations while changing water).
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 
eaturbyfill

Welcome! Your fishies are lovely (:
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Enjoy your stay

Be sure and ask questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote