Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #6561 
Laki

Actually real driftwood is easy to come by. At least here it is, the guy I bought my assassins off goes out around transmission lines (I don't know what that is) and he finds these on the side of the road. Really nice pieces of wood which would go for 50$ in a store.
I paid like 11.99 for my small piece at petsmart -_-" I wish I had known.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #6562 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Actually real driftwood is easy to come by. At least here it is, the guy I bought my assassins off goes out around transmission lines (I don't know what that is) and he finds these on the side of the road. Really nice pieces of wood which would go for 50$ in a store.
I paid like 11.99 for my small piece at petsmart -_-" I wish I had known.
I'd be a little worried about putting something that was found off the side of the road into my tanks.
My petsmart doesn't sell driftwood...and my petco sells the fancy designed/over priced ones :P
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #6563 
bananafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Very nice bananafish!
Is that real driftwood? And....is that wistera that I see?
Yup, it's a piece of driftwood I bought from PetSmart and boiled and soaked the daylights out of it. I actually got it from the terrarium section, but it was a little too long, so I cut it down with a hacksaw and then sanded the cut edges. Then boiled it again for another few hours, then soaked it overnight until the water was basically almost clear.

And yes, a little piece of wisteria (which I've never had any luck with... I'm trying it again though!) and two java ferns. My fear was that somehow my old silk plants were poisoning the water or something. I don't know. I'm paranoid. I think the newly set up tank looks really relaxing and zen. I like it.
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6564 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafish View Post
Yup, it's a piece of driftwood I bought from PetSmart and boiled and soaked the daylights out of it. I actually got it from the terrarium section, but it was a little too long, so I cut it down with a hacksaw and then sanded the cut edges. Then boiled it again for another few hours, then soaked it overnight until the water was basically almost clear.

And yes, a little piece of wisteria (which I've never had any luck with... I'm trying it again though!) and two java ferns. My fear was that somehow my old silk plants were poisoning the water or something. I don't know. I'm paranoid. I think the newly set up tank looks really relaxing and zen. I like it.
I love it!
Is that sand or fine gravel?
I'm toying we the idea of getting a wisteria. I'm not sure if I'll have enough lighting for 2 plants. Tho they are both low light plants, so maybe they will do nicely.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #6565 
Laki

Well it's up to the driftwood hunter to take good specimens and boil them. THese were pulled up in the process of construction I assume (whatever transmission lines are) and tossed. Little chemicals I'm sure, nothing that won't come off with a good scraping and boil. All driftwood comes from outside!! :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #6566 
bananafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I love it!
Is that sand or fine gravel?
It's aquarium sand.
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #6567 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I use driftwood or Mopani Wood from the reptile or fish sections at Petmsart too, and also someI got from my really beautiful natural planted local aquarium store. The tags on the reptile wood said they were fish safe too. I just look for the smallest pieces every time I go. I bought a small saw that was on sale at Home Depot because I want to cut one of the larger pieces but I am not sure that will work.

I like the driftwood for helping naturally lower the ph. Our water is like an 8 or over when it's right out of the tap. Driftwood and Fluval Peat Granules help me get that a little under control.

I don't boil the wood, I soak it in a bowl for a few days most of the time but occasionally I let it make my aquariums look a bit brackish, I figure it's better to have the water look a little brownish than have the ph so high.

I was given 2 pieces of driftwood- Tried to soak them and so far they won't sink. Not sure if I want them floating or not.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #6568 
FishyFishy89

So, is the driftwood on the shelves REAL wood?
Or do you get the ones in the tanks?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #6569 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
[quote=lilyth88;1132899]Profanity is against the rules. Period. If you can't think of more eloquent ways to express your anger... then you probably shouldn't be saying anything at all. We have people of all ages on here, including young people. Profanity has no place here.

I just now noticed I got my BACKSIDE reamed for cursing the other day on a thread. (I really wanted to say I got my "@__ reamed" but I guess that would not have gone over well. :/

Just wanted to say that you can seriously calm down, people. I WILL NOT use profanity again here because that is part of the rules and I will respect that, but I will tell you that I find a lot of things here much more offensive than a sound or word that society has found to be a "POTTY WORD". I find the way people treat each other is much more important than me using a curse word, but hey .. that's just me. (And we are not talking about me using a curse word AT someone, as in "You are a @#%$*^, or "go %^$#@% yourself" .

Yes, I know there are younger people on this site, I'm pretty sure they have heard and seen much worse on Facebook than me dropping the F bomb on a fish-keeping website, especially if they have access to the internet.

As for expressing myself "eloquently", that is a put down that is so overused to shame someone for having used a curse word, which by the way is becoming more and more acceptable as part of expression. Me having said "the F word" once does not mean I have no ability to express myself eloquently or that I'm a moron. Bill Maher and Louis C.K. use the F word all day long and yet manage to say some of the most intelligent things I have ever heard, for example. Now, my niece's day care teachers never say potty words but they can't spell simple words you put on a 3 year old's report card .. now that is SO OFFENSIVE to me!

(Please read the previous paragraph in a joking manner with a bit of sarcastic inflection to get my point correctly. :) )

By the way, bad grammar about bettas offends me. (Yes I can use bold font too!) I have to stare at people use the wrong way to spell "bettas" about every other post. Isn't this your specialty? Learn how to spell it! "Cheese and Rice!" (See what I did there .. didn't use the curse word I wanted to!)

I will show you what I mean with this nice little lesson, so we can all aspire to "express ourselves more eloquently" here.

Using an apostrophe:
betta's - denotes ownership, you would use this in a sentence talking about own. For instance: "My betta's tank looks amazing!"

No apostrophe:
bettas - denotes plural noun of betta, in other words, more than one betta For instance: "Look at all those bettas at Walmart dying in their cups. "

Now if you want to get complicated . . . if you have both circumstances, you would put the apostrophe after the "s". Here is a lovely and exciting example:

bettas' - denotes ownership and plural noun form

"Look at all those bettas' cups filled with poo-water at Walmart!"
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #6570 
Sena Hansler

Fiona and Richie (DT) are divided in this. I will be changing everyone around, so it's male divided with male, and female divided with female.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank