Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 
TuckerLove

Filter help needed.

I got a new 10 gal fish tank today, it came with a AquaTech Power filter 5-15. The thing is I know that this filter can suck in the Betta's fins. How can I prevent this. I am going to buy a new Whisper filter on Friday hopefully. Anyways, its already divided so I mean if there is no cheap way to cover the piece then Ill just put 2 instead of 3 of the Bettas inside. This is what the filter looks like

Any suggestions?
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
kfryman

I have used filters like that with bettas no problem. A healthy betta should be able to swim away from one of those. If you are really that scared get a pre sponge filter and put it on there. Should only cost a couple dollars.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 
kfish

I've used that exact filter with a betta and it wasn't an issue. In fact, he liked to freak me out by intentionally sticking himself on the vents. He could remove himself easily. If you're really intent on covering it, you can cover it with thin filter foam rubber banded around it or panty hose. I had to baffle the outtake of my filter that was like that by rubberbanding Fluval filter sponge into the waterfall, so watch the outflow current. It was more of an issue for me, anyway.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
TuckerLove

Thanks for the replies. I watched him for awhile after putting him in and he did great. I had a fancy goldfish a couple years ago in with a filter like that and his fins got stuck in it while I was in school and I came home to a dead fish. Thanks :)
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 
registereduser

I love those filters, so quiet! I also have not had a problem and I have one for a 5 gallon and one for a 20.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 
craiger75

ROTFL... I refer to those things as "betta beaters." I ordered a Tom mini that kfryman turned me onto. You can modify the Aqua, so to each his/her own, but i just don't trust it and don't really see the point. It was one of those things where I could see him getting sucked into it and I knew I had to unplug the thing but I just couldn't look away. Luckily, I came to my senses in time. Never again!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #7 
RainbowSocks

You can also make a baffle out a water bottle (thread) if the current is too strong. I know it was for my betta.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote