Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1 
aeroslove

Exclamation Hello! Betta food help

Hello everyone,
I am new here and to the Betta fish world. My husband and i bought one Delta Tail Male yesterday at Petco, a small plastic square aquarium, some pretty rocks. We also got Aqueon Betta food (pellets) and Aqueon Water Conditioner. I never owned any fish. He has but he was very little and his mom was the one taking care of them. He had a really huge tank full of fish.

Anyways, i want to make sure we are taking care of the betta the proper way. We put the rocks, the tap water, then the conditioner then the fish. He seems very active and swimming every where. But he isnt eating the pellets. I put 2 pellets when we got home and it just stood on top of the water. this morning i put there. He took one in his mouth and spit it out and did it again one more time. Hubby says maybe thats how they eat. IDK!

So i read online they eat Blood worms and some shrimp? We did buy the Betta for our daughters. We wanted them to have a pet and take some responsibility. At the moment we cant afford to buy a Boxer or have it living here in our small apartment. So this will due for now for them :)

Is there anything im missing? a diff food? do i need to change the water a lot? i didnt think of it, i dont have a net or anything. Should i look for those exotic fish stores instead of going to petsmart and petco? Thanks for any help
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
Leonardo DaFINci

my betta wouldnt eat pellets at first either! fast him for a day or so and he should start eating them, it worked with my betta! (shrimp and blood worms are kind of treats more than anything, they have little nutrition) oh also, what is your tank size/do you have a filter and heater?
Leonardo DaFINci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 
lelei

It sounds like you have a Kritter keeper, with that, a betta being a tropical fish, would need a heater, if the kk, or container you have is over a gallon..( do you know the size)? you would need one for it, and hope it has a cover (betta fish are jumpers) and might try and jump out if not covered..

As far as food goes, sometimes betta's are finiky, like cats, and will not eat in a new enviornment, right away..give some time, and keep trying, if not and he keeps spitting them out, (like mine did) when I first got him, I tried a different food, that now he loves, (Hakari Gold) micro pellets, (if he spits out) he don't like it, and yes, you can feed Bloodworms, but only as a "Treat" because they tend to bloat and cause problems. Having a fish is supposed to be a simple joy, but they are complicated lil guys, once you get used to them, however they are amazing and it's worth all the work in the world to keep em happy and healthy..:) Btw..Welcome to the forum, and the exiting world of being a betta Mommy:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #4 
aeroslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo DaFINci View Post
my betta wouldnt eat pellets at first either! fast him for a day or so and he should start eating them, it worked with my betta! (shrimp and blood worms are kind of treats more than anything, they have little nutrition) oh also, what is your tank size/do you have a filter and heater?
No tank or heater, bettas dont need them. What my friend has said (she works at a petsmart) and plus its too expensive. We want a low maintenance pet. Thats why we decided on not to buying a Hamster or anything like that. It cost $37 total for everything we got. the tank is a small plastic square shape aquarium. It is called the Petco Pet keeper for fish, .75 gallons
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
aeroslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
It sounds like you have a Kritter keeper, with that, a betta being a tropical fish, would need a heater, if the kk, or container you have is over a gallon..( do you know the size)? you would need one for it, and hope it has a cover (betta fish are jumpers) and might try and jump out if not covered..

As far as food goes, sometimes betta's are finiky, like cats, and will not eat in a new enviornment, right away..give some time, and keep trying, if not and he keeps spitting them out, (like mine did) when I first got him, I tried a different food, that now he loves, (Hakari Gold) micro pellets, (if he spits out) he don't like it, and yes, you can feed Bloodworms, but only as a "Treat" because they tend to bloat and cause problems. Having a fish is supposed to be a simple joy, but they are complicated lil guys, once you get used to them, however they are amazing and it's worth all the work in the world to keep em happy and healthy..:) Btw..Welcome to the forum, and the exiting world of being a betta Mommy:)
I was told not to buy a heater or a filter. Do i have too? I just wanted a easy fish and i dont want the extra expenses sorry. We live in a very hot area. I live in Victorville, California. it is 70 degrees in the morning and 80-95 in the day. it gets super hot in the house and we use the AC most of the time or the fans. the Thermostat says 88 in the house most of the time.we turn all the lights off before we go to to bed. My friend works at petsmart, has for a many years and knows a lot about Animals. Thats kinda why i just went along with Bettas.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #6 
Leonardo DaFINci

one gallon is the bare minimum for bettas, and even then you would have to do 50% water changes ever other day. bettas can SURVIVE in a tank that small, but its comparable to someone locking you in a closet and feeding you through a slot. if you want low maintenance, then i strongly suggest getting a bigger tank, at least 2.5 gallons. that way the betta will be healthier, will liver longer, and you wont have to change the water as often.
Leonardo DaFINci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 
tpocicat

Do you have a thermometer? That will let you know if the betta's water is warm enough.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #8 
lelei

Betta fish actually do need heaters, I know how you feel, and I live in New England where right now we are hitting those 90d temps, or higher, and I have no A/C and I have a heater in both my fishy's tanks, but with a thermometer, to watch and see if it goes up, which it has not, do you have a thermometer, (well in a bowl that size) you do need to do daily water cleanings, that size will get very dirty very quickly..(sorry to say) and you may want to look into a Kritter keeper 1.75 gal size, it's great for betta's to swim, and get exercise, the one you have- he will not have enough swim room, and not enough exercise..they really should have 1 gallon at the very minimum for swim room, but in time, I would try to upgrade, and include the heater, betta's do thrive in a bigger enviornment, and hardly ever get sick.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #9 
aeroslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Do you have a thermometer? That will let you know if the betta's water is warm enough.
Nope i dont have one for the tank. We most likely do more shopping for him if we have some extra money left over monday. Hubby is at his moms helping her move from one house to another and he goes to school full time on weekends.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Of course a Betta can live in a gallon of water but you will need to keep up with water changes often like at least every other day and the water change should be as close to the temp as the water in his bowl as possible and be sure and use the water conditioner each water change. Bettas like warmer water at least 78 degrees and since your house is that warm I think he will alright. You can get a temp strip that goes on the bowl at your pet shop for a dollar or two. I think he will eat the pellets once he gets used to his new home. Does he have a plant in his bowl ? He would really enjoy that, just something he can rest in and hide in when he needs that comfort of being secure. I got a couple at my pet shop that did not cost that much and it has silk leaves because you have to be careful with plastic ones and anything that could rip pantyhose could rip his fins. Also a lid is must have cause they do jump. Welcome to the forum and best of wishes for you and your new little guy.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote