Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 
aeroslove
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Of course a Betta can live in a gallon of water but you will need to keep up with water changes often like at least every other day and the water change should be as close to the temp as the water in his bowl as possible and be sure and use the water conditioner each water change. Bettas like warmer water at least 78 degrees and since your house is that warm I think he will alright. You can get a temp strip that goes on the bowl at your pet shop for a dollar or two. I think he will eat the pellets once he gets used to his new home. Does he have a plant in his bowl ? He would really enjoy that, just something he can rest in and hide in when he needs that comfort of being secure. I got a couple at my pet shop that did not cost that much and it has silk leaves because you have to be careful with plastic ones and anything that could rip pantyhose could rip his fins. Also a lid is must have cause they do jump. Welcome to the forum and best of wishes for you and your new little guy.
Hello,
thanks for the tips. we will be buying those on Monday. Also, i bought real plants. it came in a tube and then we cleaned off the gels and my husband planted them. Let me take a picture so i can show everyone. there isnt anything he can Lay on or hide? I could probably buy those rocks that has holes?
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #12 
RainbowSocks
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Bettas can be a low-maintenance pet once a proper tank is set up. As already said, your betta will thrive in a larger tank (even a larger kritter keeper), and with warmer water (78-82 degrees). The first step would be a thermometer-whether a strip or floating one. They're usually less than $2. This way you can tell what temperature the water is just from being in a warm room. I would be more concerned with being able to monitor water temperature, and having more room for him to "spread his fins."

Whatever size you get, you will have to do regular partial water changes to keep the ammonia down (from his waste and uneaten food particles). Ammonia is toxic, and even though bettas are very hardy and can tolerate more ammonia than most fish, ammonia build-up could kill him.

As for your original question, you can presoak your betta pellets if he spits them back out--they're rather hard, like grape nuts. :P I put mine in a rinsed out soda cap for a few minutes while I'm getting ready for school, and then give them to him one by one (once they're soaked, they will sink, and some bettas, like mine, won't eat from the gravel). I use a medical syringe simply because it's less messy. I don't get my hands wet, or risk getting some chemical from my morning routine into his tank. And as already said, oftentimes bettas will be more interested in acclimating to their new environment for a few days before they feel like eating. The fact that he tries to eat the pellets initially is a good sign. :)
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #13 
RainbowSocks
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroslove View Post
Hello,
thanks for the tips. we will be buying those on Monday. Also, i bought real plants. it came in a tube and then we cleaned off the gels and my husband planted them. Let me take a picture so i can show everyone. there isnt anything he can Lay on or hide? I could probably buy those rocks that has holes?
Just saw this post. :P

What kind of plant did you get? :) He will certainly love that!
If you're interested in low-cost decorating, a coffee mug or mason jar (specifically non-porous, and if it has painted decorations, that they will not flake off or dissolve in his tank) rinsed well with conditioned water (to avoid chlorine) and laid on its side can often serve as a favored hiding place for your betta. Every betta is different, but it's worth a try before buying ornaments. :)
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #14 
aeroslove
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #15 
aeroslove
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSocks View Post
Bettas can be a low-maintenance pet once a proper tank is set up. As already said, your betta will thrive in a larger tank (even a larger kritter keeper), and with warmer water (78-82 degrees). The first step would be a thermometer-whether a strip or floating one. They're usually less than $2. This way you can tell what temperature the water is just from being in a warm room. I would be more concerned with being able to monitor water temperature, and having more room for him to "spread his fins."

Whatever size you get, you will have to do regular partial water changes to keep the ammonia down (from his waste and uneaten food particles). Ammonia is toxic, and even though bettas are very hardy and can tolerate more ammonia than most fish, ammonia build-up could kill him.

As for your original question, you can presoak your betta pellets if he spits them back out--they're rather hard, like grape nuts. :P I put mine in a rinsed out soda cap for a few minutes while I'm getting ready for school, and then give them to him one by one (once they're soaked, they will sink, and some bettas, like mine, won't eat from the gravel). I use a medical syringe simply because it's less messy. I don't get my hands wet, or risk getting some chemical from my morning routine into his tank. And as already said, oftentimes bettas will be more interested in acclimating to their new environment for a few days before they feel like eating. The fact that he tries to eat the pellets initially is a good sign. :)
Thanks for the information. I will be passing everything everyone has said to my husband when he gets home. :) Stupid question, but where do i put him when i clean the water?
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #16 
aeroslove
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSocks View Post
Just saw this post. :P

What kind of plant did you get? :) He will certainly love that!
If you're interested in low-cost decorating, a coffee mug or mason jar (specifically non-porous, and if it has painted decorations, that they will not flake off or dissolve in his tank) rinsed well with conditioned water (to avoid chlorine) and laid on its side can often serve as a favored hiding place for your betta. Every betta is different, but it's worth a try before buying ornaments. :)
Thanks great idead but i dont have any more coffee mugs. Every one i have is used for coffee and i only have 4. its okay, im going to buy a thermostat and a bigger aquarium some where else. Target/walmart or petsmart. Petco didnt have anything cheaper. well my husband like this weird tank that changes color but i rather just buy a normal tank so i can see the fish lol
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #17 
tpocicat
Member
 
tpocicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca
Do you still have the little cup he came in? Most of us use those.
Welcome to the forum.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #18 
aeroslove
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Do you still have the little cup he came in? Most of us use those.
Welcome to the forum.
Oh ya i do. thanks
aeroslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #19 
RainbowSocks
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroslove View Post
Thanks great idead but i dont have any more coffee mugs. Every one i have is used for coffee and i only have 4. its okay, im going to buy a thermostat and a bigger aquarium some where else. Target/walmart or petsmart. Petco didnt have anything cheaper. well my husband like this weird tank that changes color but i rather just buy a normal tank so i can see the fish lol
Yes, Walmart has those same kritter keepers--I'm not sure if they have the larger sizes, though (I work there :P). I considered buying the changeing light ones, too! lol If you do buy an ornament from the store, try to find one that has no sharp edges for him to catch his fins on. The old pantyhose test works well--run a pair of old pantyhose over the ornament, and if it tears the hose, it'll tear his fins. Even if you don't have pantyhose, that gives you an idea of what you're looking for.

And responding to your earlier post:

Hopefully you still kept the cup he came in? If not, I imagine a well-rinsed tupperware container would do fine, especially since its temporary. You just want to avoid exposing him to foreign chemicals, foods, etc.

You could just scoop him into the container with his old tank water, clean the tank, set it all back up, and then introduce him to the new parameters (like if the new water's not room temperature, and there will be no/less ammonia present) by floating the container in the tank, adding that new tank water to his floating container every 10-15 minutes until it's about half old water, half new. And then net him back into his tank. That way you don't reintroduce the old water.

I'm new to fishies myself, so if anyone has better advice, take it over mine! :P And lastly, what a pretty boy!
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #20 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Aww..cute lil guy.. a friend of mine had that same type of fish keeper, it's a mini KK and she had her fishy in it for a while, but moved her recently to a 3 gallon kk..that's fine for now, but that fishy might grow..and you will notice he does need to (spread those fins)..those tanks, with the multi color LED changing lights, is the first one I got for our Sammy for 2 mos..until I moved him into a 5 gal..
If you have a cupcake liner lil cup,( the plastic one that the liners come in) that is what I use now.. and it's great")
Also you can soak the pellets in some garlic juice to stimulate the appetite, and get your fishy to eat..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it okay that my Betta dosen't eat his food and instead he eats tropical fish food? Alienbetta1 Betta Fish Care 12 07-25-2012 06:24 PM
New Life Spectrum Betta Formula/Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food amethystlady Betta Fish Care 8 04-21-2011 10:36 PM
How To Keep Tetras From Eating Betta Food/ Bettas Eating Tetra Food? bloo97 Betta Fish Compatibility 30 07-25-2010 12:33 AM
new betta owner, betta doesnt eat his food arima moua Betta Fish Care 4 09-15-2008 12:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.