Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 
xoEleven

Urgent: Saved Betta from Store...

The other day I was browsing a pet store (Won't say which) and I came upon a betta fish that was in the WORST condition I have ever seen. I picked up the fish cup with the dirtiest water. He is a beautiful duel tail betta fish, except his fin rot, pop eye, and whatever else he has. My heart immediately dropped when I saw the condition he was in, so bad that the store adopted the fish out to me for free. I figured the fish at least deserved clean water. Anyways, it's been a couple of days now, and I've been treating him with Melafix in a hospital tank. I already did a huge water change. It seems like he may be getting worse, and I'm scared he won't survive. :( I have no idea what is wrong at this point, or why the Melafix isn't fixin' the job. It seems that his face is deteriorating. (I'll insert images) Above his mouth there's a line across that's pretty much see through, may even have holes in it, because of how bad he's deteriorating. Also, on his eye with pop eye, there is redness underneath that seems to also be deteriorating. He has fin rot on his tail fin and also on the fin underneath.
As for how he's acting- he swims around a bit, won't eat (though I don't blame him with his mouth wounds), and occasionally tweaks out. o.0 Mostly he will just go up for air.

Please someone help me figure out what's wrong or how to make him better. :(
Attached Images

xoEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....and dang...poor fella....hopefully its not too late....but these guys can surprise you....

What I would recommend...stop the Melafix.....and start Epsom salt/tannin treatment

Using the small temporary cup he came in for the Qt container-Start making water changes with some premixed treatment water.
You can float the QT in a heated tank to maintain temp, however, I wouldn't keep him in too warm of water at this point....76-77F is what I would recommend.
Cover the Qt with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Premixed treatment water: Using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL (1large crushed) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min to start the release of tannin and salt dissolve...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today....This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.
He needs to stay in the Qt in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days

Tomorrow-start daily 50% water changes using the premixed treatment water.
If you used a tannin source the water should look darker every day-this is good....

Both the Epsom salt and tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, can help with edema and ease stress.

Keep him in a dim lit quiet location and hold food for the first 24h

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed several times a day-this will boost protein intake and stimulate feeding response. If not, offer good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 
xoEleven

Thank you so much, OldFishLady, for a response. I'll have to do my best and get this going.
I can get a hold of the epsom salt, but where would I be able to purchase IAL? and especially in a fast manner (like maybe in a store or in nature?).
I live in Northeastern PA, usa, if that helps. :\ I've just never heard of such a thing but am getting desperate.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IAL-Indian almond leaf, usually you have to get these online...

If you have any Oak trees near by....collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf...this is what I use...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 
xoEleven

Actually, I believe I do! Just a matter of finding one and making sure it's oak.
Again, thank you so much! :) I'll keep you posted for sure.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 
TuckerLove

I cant help at all since I know nothing about diseases of fish. But I do pray he gets well and fast. He is one beautiful looking betta. I wish you luck.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, melafix, pop eye, popeye, sick