Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Omega one betta pellet ingredients

I was just doing some research and noticed on my jar of omega one betta pellets that the first ingredients are: "Whole salmon" "halibut" "shrimp". And that's all it says....Now, I am a bit confused....how is it processed?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Like, is it whole salmon "meal"?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #3 
3l1zabeth

Smile

On my omega one betta pellets the ingredients are:
*Whole Salmon
*Halibut
*Shrimp
*Wheat Flour
*Wheat Gluten
*Fresh Kelp
*Astaxanthin
*Lecithin
and a bunch of other ingredients that i dont feel like typing right now. My betta LOVES them and my baby betta likes the omega one flakes crushed.
3l1zabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #4 
ZubinBetta

They must be really small salmons, halibuts and shrimps, just hatched.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
ZubinBetta

Sorry, I understand how certain ways of speaking may strike us as funny. For example, you read on the label that the ingredients are "Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp," and when you look at the nuggets in your can you see no such thing. I think the designation 'Whole' is meant to indicate that the best cuts are not removed before the ingredients are assembled and then processed to make the pellets. "Salmon Meal"--or "Fish Meal," etc.--indicates "leftovers" or "biproducts" from which the best ("Whole") parts have already been excluded and sold for human consumption. If the manufacturers start with "Whole" ingredients, it bodes better for your betta, whose food is less processed from the get-go than if the manufacturers had started with some sort of "Meal."
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 
sportsfan2

Well here's their website.

http://www.omegasea.net/best2.html
sportsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
Sorry, I understand how certain ways of speaking may strike us as funny. For example, you read on the label that the ingredients are "Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp," and when you look at the nuggets in your can you see no such thing. I think the designation 'Whole' is meant to indicate that the best cuts are not removed before the ingredients are assembled and then processed to make the pellets. "Salmon Meal"--or "Fish Meal," etc.--indicates "leftovers" or "biproducts" from which the best ("Whole") parts have already been excluded and sold for human consumption. If the manufacturers start with "Whole" ingredients, it bodes better for your betta, whose food is less processed from the get-go than if the manufacturers had started with some sort of "Meal."
+1

This is what your ingredients label should say. Don't be worried, this is one of the best foods I've ever used/seen, actually THE best.

whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, wheat flour, wheat gluten, fresh kelp, astaxanthin, lecithin, L-ascorbyl-2-phosphate (source of vitamin C), natural and artificial colors, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, biotin, inositol, tocopherol (preservative) and ethoxyquin (preservative)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

well, I mean, I thought meal meant it was weighed when it was already dried and whole means they count the weight before they dry it so it looks like the fist ingredients when they really arent. Am I wrong? Are salmon, halibut, and shrimp really the three most abundant ingredients in omega one?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
well, I mean, I thought meal meant it was weighed when it was already dried and whole means they count the weight before they dry it so it looks like the fist ingredients when they really arent. Am I wrong? Are salmon, halibut, and shrimp really the three most abundant ingredients in omega one?
The first few ingredients are the most concentrated, so yes.

Meal is the gross trimmings. Like- If they took all the good meat off of an animal for humans- then those nasty leftovers that would be thrown awAy, those are the "meal" ingredient(s).
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
The first few ingredients are the most concentrated, so yes.

Meal is the gross trimmings. Like- If they took all the good meat off of an animal for humans- then those nasty leftovers that would be thrown awAy, those are the "meal" ingredient(s).
but what about when things say, "whole shrimp meal" for example....what does that mean?