Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
but what about when things say, "whole shrimp meal" for example....what does that mean?
That's weird. TBH, I've never seen that. It kinda counteracts itself... Whole = quality and meal = crap lol idk xP
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
That's weird. TBH, I've never seen that. It kinda counteracts itself... Whole = quality and meal = crap lol idk xP
I know! It really sounds like an oxymoron! But New Life Spectrum says on it's label that it's first two ingredients are: "Whole antarctic krill meal" and "Whole herring meal".....I don't get it!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #13 
ihatefirewalls

Meal doesn't always mean lower quality. Meal just means it's ground up, like flour. Think of corn meal.

The "whole" part just means they use the entire fish without removing the better parts.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefirewalls View Post
Meal doesn't always mean lower quality. Meal just means it's ground up, like flour. Think of corn meal.

The "whole" part just means they use the entire fish without removing the better parts.
Well Do you know if the first three ingredients are really the most concentrated in omega one? Do they weigh it after its dried?

EDIT: And don't they have to grind it up anyway to put it in pellet form?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #15 
ihatefirewalls

The ingredients are always listed in order of greatest to least. Meal is already dried so it should be dry weight. HOWEVER, I believe that meats (including whole fish) weights include water. (This information comes from reading about dog food.) So omega one's label may be a bit misleading.

My interpretation on the difference between whole fish and whole fish meal is that whole fish meal is preprocessed to have water and some oils removed. According to wikipedia, "Fishmeal is made by either cooking, pressing, drying and grinding of fish or fish waste to which no other matter has been added. It is a solid product from which most of the water is removed and some or all of the oil is removed."

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 06-29-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
The ingredients are always listed in order of greatest to least. It should be dry weight.

My interpretation on the difference between whole fish and whole fish meal is that whole fish meal can still be processed to have some of the oils removed during processing. According to wikipedia, "Fishmeal is made by either cooking, pressing, drying and grinding of fish or fish waste to which no other matter has been added. It is a solid product from which most of the water is removed and some or all of the oil is removed"
but obviously most of the moisture is gone from the foods with whole fish too...??
Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #17 
ihatefirewalls

Sorry i've been editing my last post constantly. Take a look again haha.

Edit: This article is about cat food, but had a lot of interesting information.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...he-basics.html

Some relevant excerpts:

"Ingredients are listed on a pet food label in order of pre-cooking weight."

"Chicken is obviously chicken meat; Chicken Meal is chicken meat with the moisture removed. Any meat contains a high amount of moisture, up to 70% moisture. Chicken Meal is chicken with the moisture removed and thus provides the dog or cat with more protein nutrition by weight."

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
but obviously most of the moisture is gone from the foods with whole fish too...??
Since the ingredients are listed pre-cooking, most of the moisture could be removed post-mixing.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 06-29-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

yeah that's what I was worried about. ARE omega one's ingredients lists misleading?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Sorry i've been editing my last post constantly. Take a look again haha.

Edit: This article is about cat food, but had a lot of interesting information.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...he-basics.html

Some relevant excerpts:

"Ingredients are listed on a pet food label in order of pre-cooking weight."

"Chicken is obviously chicken meat; Chicken Meal is chicken meat with the moisture removed. Any meat contains a high amount of moisture, up to 70% moisture. Chicken Meal is chicken with the moisture removed and thus provides the dog or cat with more protein nutrition by weight."

Since the ingredients are listed pre-cooking, most of the moisture could be removed post-mixing.
So are NLS ingredients, in fact, better even though the food has a lower protein content?

EDIT: okay so if the moisture is removed post-mixing than omega one is better

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 06-29-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Also, since Omega One has a higher protein content but no soybean, does that mean that it is probably dried post-mixing and weighed after it's dried?