Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Best dog food and why:

I might adopt a dog tomorrow and I want to know what is the best dog food brand and why.....This is what I was planning on getting for her:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...211&lmdn=Brand
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Funny, I was going to say wellness! It is my favorite brand for dogs and cats!
Way-to-go! Post pics when you get your doggy :D

Go here and click "save $5" and you can print a $5 off coupon for wellness dry food.. http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/welln...-cat-food.aspx

They release those every month in their newsletter. I suggest you sign up for that newsletter :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 
Gen2387

I'm a veterinary technician so I'm pretty sure I can help you with that. Lol! The difference between dog food bought in supermarket, petshops and vet. clinics are the ingredients they put in them. Basically the food you're going to buy in supermarket or walmarts are the ''junkfood'' of the animal world. It's cheap because the proteins and meat used are scraps left from the animal (chicken, beef...).

Food that's sold in vet clinics are exclusive to them, you can't find them anywhere else. The reason that it's a little more expensive is that the companies have research centers and a lot of research went behind the food. The also use the best part of the animals to get the proteins from. Don't get fooled if you buy Purina Veterinary Diets just because it says by-products on the bag. The by-products used in this food is actually the best parts of the animals like the liver, bone marrow, intestines.

Petshops sell some good food too. It's not as high quality as vet food but it's still good.
My advice is go for a little more quality food, at least you gonna be sure your puppy gets something good. Also the food sold at vets might be a little more expensive but most of the time the quantities that you need to give to your dog are a little lower to meet the same vitamins/proteins/calories that he needs. If it's a small breed dog, the price difference is low. Most of the time the prices are vets are competitive so go check it out. :)

Hope I helped a little!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 
shadowpony

It's not that there is one perfect dog food. Pre made dog food can be great, or it can be bad. Gian no-no's are corn, unnamed meat and grains as the first few ingreadients. You want named meat as the first ingredient. If is wet, then water may be the first ingreadient, thats ok. Wellness, and Blue are great foods. Iams is ok. Anything from the grocery store is BAD. Dogs are carnivores, so fruits and veggies shouldnt be in the first five ingreadents (which are organized by weight). In a perfect world, all dogs and cats would be fed on all meat diets, but some people just can't do that. The next best thing is a good pre made food.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpony View Post
It's not that there is one perfect dog food. Pre made dog food can be great, or it can be bad. Gian no-no's are corn, unnamed meat and grains as the first few ingreadients. You want named meat as the first ingredient. If is wet, then water may be the first ingreadient, thats ok. Wellness, and Blue are great foods. Iams is ok. Anything from the grocery store is BAD. Dogs are carnivores, so fruits and veggies shouldnt be in the first five ingreadents (which are organized by weight). In a perfect world, all dogs and cats would be fed on all meat diets, but some people just can't do that. The next best thing is a good pre made food.
I agree. Wellness, blue buffalo, merrick, solid gold, innova, evo.. Great foods.

I don't like iams because they started using preservatives in it that have been banned for human consumption. Not to mention the ingredients arent all that great either.

I hate purina. Even the veterinary diets ones have corn, gluten in them. They are garbage!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Funny, I was going to say wellness! It is my favorite brand for dogs and cats!
Way-to-go! Post pics when you get your doggy :D

Go here and click "save $5" and you can print a $5 off coupon for wellness dry food.. http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/welln...-cat-food.aspx

They release those every month in their newsletter. I suggest you sign up for that newsletter :)
Thank you for the coupon!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

And thank you everyone for all of your informative help!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #8 
Creat

Lets see personally I think science diet is fine if your dog has no major issues but its the bottom of my personal barrel per say. There are lots of types of foods what is it that you want? You can get organic ( 2 good brands are natural balance organic and castor and pollux organix) or a more natural food like blue buffalo, natures variety (personal favorite because its rotational) and others. The idea is to pick a food with protein as the first ingredient (however it can depend on the breed of the dog, large breeds can only have certain level of protein). Peoples instinctual reaction is to pick a food that says chicken instead of chicken meal, but heres the catch ingredients are listed by weight chicken has to be dehydrated into meal before it can be mixed into food (unless you are buying refrigerated or frozen food) so even if it does say chicken its the weight of it before its turned into meal. Which means with the water removed the chicken might actually be the second or third ingredient. But like I said what do you want it all personal opinion. Oh and I work as a dog trainer so people ask me this question all the time :p
Personally I have one dog on natural balance buffalo and sweet potato one dog on science diet d/t and one on natures variety frozen beef.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #9 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I agree. Wellness, blue buffalo, merrick, solid gold, innova, evo.. Great foods.

I don't like iams because they started using preservatives in it that have been banned for human consumption. Not to mention the ingredients arent all that great either.

I hate purina. Even the veterinary diets ones have corn, gluten in them. They are garbage!
agreed

Vet foods are definately NOT the highest quality, these foods are manufactured generally for certain illnesses that need a specific diet which is what they are good for, as a general food no thanks.

I like taste of the wild, Acana, GO!, solid gold, merrick, honest kitchen, nature's variety.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #10 
PaintingPintos

My dog Butch developed allergies to Kibbles n Bits (cheap-o!!) so we switched him to EVO which immediately terminated all itching and hair loss. We eventually switched to Taste of the Wild (which has many flavors-my dog loved it).....he doesn't like anything better than it. When we switch around flavors he gobbles it down like it's a deer/rabbit/caribou/chicken/turkey.... and he's normally a very calm, slow eater.
It's very healthy for him and it keeps him going (he's 11 and he is literally as active as a puppy) because we do extreme jumping and dog agility, running, hiking, and biking. He's a Tibetan Terrier, so that may have something to do with it (the breed had few health problems) but when we have a vet visit they always note how healthy he is ;)
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote