Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #11 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
Okay, now I'm sure it's a sprain, or at least partially sure, as it feels better today, though it goes back to feeling awful if I put weight on it. No minute clinics around here, I'm one of the sla- I mean, working class in a rich town, so everything is catered to those with money. My boyfriend is going to ask his grandmother if she'll help me, cause she is looooooooaaaaadeeeed. Also, my foot started constantly tingling today, so according to everyone I need to see a doctor. TT-TT I'm going to be in debt forever.
Definitely choose a walk-in clinic if possible, as they're designed for people without insurance. Is there a next town that's less rich that you can go to? I hope his grandmother does decide to help... Try to stay off of it! :(
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #12 
Ilikebutterflies

OK. First of all you NEED to have the foot seen by a doctor. You don't want it healing badly because that could cause you a lifetime of problems. For future reference if you feel you have a broken bone then go to the clinic or hospital unless it is your finger or toe because they really don't do much with those except tape it to the next finger/toe and let it heal.
Now, a walk in clinic likely won't even see you if you can't pay anything. If you can pay it'll likely cost you around $200 for the office visit and xray...so again not the end of the world. If you can't pay you need to visit the ER. By law the ER cannot refuse treatment due to inability to pay. They will make your life heck by overcharging you then sending it to collections. This is the price you pay by not carrying insurance. There is insurance coverage out there for everyone. You can get a personal "emergency" policy for less than $80 a month. Some cities have healthcare plans that you can join for free. There are often free community clinics as well that handle minor emergencies. What I want you to understand is that there isn't really much coverage with these plans BUT you do get deep discounts just because you have insurance. If your bill is $3000 you often pay less than half just because insurance companies have negotiated cheaper costs. They can also set you up on a payment plan.
I see it has been two days since you posted so if you have waited this long, and it IS broken that is going to suck for you because it has probably started to heal and would have to be rebroken in order to be set. Now, should you go to the ER, once you get the bill you need to call the billing office. Tell them your situation and ask them to work with you. Tell them you know they offer reduced rates to people that have insurance and if they will offer you a reduced rate you will work with them to pay your debt. You will be amazed at how much they will shave off your bill.

My daughter was injured 4 days after my insurance at work stopped and 26 days before personal coverage picked up. The bill was 24K. I was able to have it reduced to 14K by negotiating. My auto insurance paid 10K and the hospital had a program in place for low income families(I had just lost my job) that writes off up to 5K. So, in the end, I only had to pay the ambulance ride and the ER doctors fee. Now, had I sat on my hands trying to avoid the situation and did nothing I'd have bill collectors all over me and bad credit.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, I can't help but I hope you get better soon. <3
It's true that if your bone isn't positioned properly that's how it'll heal, but I can't imagine it being more than a slight limp afterwards as long as it looks okay. o.o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #14 
SweetNightmare

Guys, I only get paid around 300 every two weeks. 100 of that goes to my phone bill, my only bill. If I'm going to have to not work for a while, that means the last bit of that money will have to last me until then. Which means I can't pay 200 for a clinic. And I'm sorry I don't have insurance, but I'd be literally destitute if I did, and my job doesn't offer benefits like that of any kind. Please don't talk down to me because I'm poor and can't afford health insurance. Before I turned 18 I qualified for medicaid, but now for some reason not. And I hope it's not going to heal badly, but I didn't have a choice. I didn't even have anyone to take me at all, forget the money.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #15 
sparkyjoe

I had to have surgery and I have insurance. It still cost over $2000. Thankfully I was able to get that reduced because of my income. It was based on a sliding scale. At your income you might get it all covered.

At least call to find out.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #16 
kfryman

I would definitely see if there is a way for you to get money off. The worst they can say is no right?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #17 
kfish

They may not make you pay it all up front. Call a walk in clinic (or other clinic, in fact, call a few, see if they'll price match), ask them about it and how much they charge to look at it/even just DIAGNOSE it, and ask them if they have a payment plan. Explain your situation. I'm sure it happens all the time.

If it was me, my foot would be more important than having a phone for a month. I know what it's like to have no money. I'm $700 short on my rent, which is due tomorrow.

Last edited by kfish; 06-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #18 
SweetNightmare

The problem is I already paid that bill, plus it is literally the only way anyone can get in contact with me. I don't have a landline, my internet is through my phone. Besides, if it were delinquent they'd also charge me the disconection fee since it's a contract phone. Anyways, my mom's gonna come up and take me to the hospital since no one here other than my boyfriend(had to go to work) thinks I need to go, despite my foot being very swollen and slightly discolored, and my job asking for a note.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #19 
staffylover

When I broke my ankle the docs advised me to keep the ankle elevated higher than my heart, this will help reduce the swelling.
Also try taking an anti inflammatory which will also help with the swelling and the pain and sleep with it raised on a pillow

Hope you feel better soon x
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #20 
staffylover

Do you not have help in the US with medical bills? We have the National Health with is paid by your insurance deducted from your wages or you can opt to have that and private insurance as well
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote