Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #11 
thekinetic
Member
 
thekinetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield, Va
Back when I had a doggie, T_T, we used to use science diet. It came recommended by our vet and our dog liked it. It had lots of vitamins and stuff in it. I mean just check the different foods and see which seems best.

But to tell you the truth the vet also said that if you can afford it baked chicken is the best thing you can feed a dog.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
I don't like science diet. Some of the formulas have meat as a first ingredient, but are followed by corn, wheat, etc. Some formulas the first ingredient is corn.

It's just overpriced CRAP that is well advertised.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #13 
thekinetic
Member
 
thekinetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield, Va
True, as a matter of fact we stopped giving our dog dog food and gave her chicken and table scraps. She was much happier and lived to the ripe old age of 16.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #14 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
This is a debateable topic because everybody has their own thoughts and experiences. Personally, unless a vet shows me a valid nutritional diploma I will not take their advice without a grain of salt. Vets are practising animal health and emergency, not so much on nutrition. A lot of vets are PAID to endorse certain companies (Science Diet might be one of them I'm not even sure what brands vets carry, Iams and Eukanuba are owned by Proctor and Gamble and they ARE paid to endorse).. So I would not take vets advice on dog/cat food anymore. I did once, and the money sank into a garbage corn filled food only made my hardy terrier quite sick.
I only feed holistic. If I had the resources to feed raw, I would. Oh, also, there is VERY little diference in the "small breed" formulas. A lot of the holistic ones just have the puppy, adult and senior formulas. Even senior formulas aren't always that different to adult. Anyways, the key thing is to do your own research and find out what works best for your dog!

About fruits and veggies, dogs are not obligate carnivores (like cats) so some fruit and veggies are actually beneficial to them. Blueberries being one of them :)

To the OP, I cannot wait to see your dog!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
True, as a matter of fact we stopped giving our dog dog food and gave her chicken and table scraps. She was much happier and lived to the ripe old age of 16.
I'm so sorry for your loss! But 16, wow! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
This is a debateable topic because everybody has their own thoughts and experiences. Personally, unless a vet shows me a valid nutritional diploma I will not take their advice without a grain of salt. Vets are practising animal health and emergency, not so much on nutrition. A lot of vets are PAID to endorse certain companies (Science Diet might be one of them I'm not even sure what brands vets carry, Iams and Eukanuba are owned by Proctor and Gamble and they ARE paid to endorse).. So I would not take vets advice on dog/cat food anymore. I did once, and the money sank into a garbage corn filled food only made my hardy terrier quite sick.
I only feed holistic. If I had the resources to feed raw, I would. Oh, also, there is VERY little diference in the "small breed" formulas. A lot of the holistic ones just have the puppy, adult and senior formulas. Even senior formulas aren't always that different to adult. Anyways, the key thing is to do your own research and find out what works best for your dog!

About fruits and veggies, dogs are not obligate carnivores (like cats) so some fruit and veggies are actually beneficial to them. Blueberries being one of them :)

To the OP, I cannot wait to see your dog!!
+1 could not have said it better myself!
It is funny, I want to be a vet tech. I was thinking "man I hope the vet I work at doesn't sell that junk, it'd be awesome if we sold wellness and stuff like that" and then j thought "hmm.. I wonder if they'd consider putting a betta tank in their waiting area xDd
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #17 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
This is a debateable topic because everybody has their own thoughts and experiences. Personally, unless a vet shows me a valid nutritional diploma I will not take their advice without a grain of salt. Vets are practising animal health and emergency, not so much on nutrition. A lot of vets are PAID to endorse certain companies (Science Diet might be one of them I'm not even sure what brands vets carry, Iams and Eukanuba are owned by Proctor and Gamble and they ARE paid to endorse).. So I would not take vets advice on dog/cat food anymore. I did once, and the money sank into a garbage corn filled food only made my hardy terrier quite sick.
I only feed holistic. If I had the resources to feed raw, I would. Oh, also, there is VERY little diference in the "small breed" formulas. A lot of the holistic ones just have the puppy, adult and senior formulas. Even senior formulas aren't always that different to adult. Anyways, the key thing is to do your own research and find out what works best for your dog!

About fruits and veggies, dogs are not obligate carnivores (like cats) so some fruit and veggies are actually beneficial to them. Blueberries being one of them :)

To the OP, I cannot wait to see your dog!!
Yeah the wellness is one of the holistic ones, but they had a grain free formula that was small breed so I just went ahead and got it. The dog i am hoping to adopt (pushed to tomorrow) is what I would consider senior (9 y/o) but the second ingredient in the senior formula is oatmeal, whereas the first 3 in the adult is meats, so i went with the adult.

EDIT: Also I will post pictures ASAP if everything works out and I get her!

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 07-01-2012 at 12:54 AM.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #18 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
Congrats!! I hope you get her!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #19 
Gen2387
Member
 
Gen2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montréal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I don't like science diet. Some of the formulas have meat as a first ingredient, but are followed by corn, wheat, etc. Some formulas the first ingredient is corn.

It's just overpriced CRAP that is well advertised.
Corn, wheat are important parts of the food. It's a myth that it's crap and shouldn't be in the food. It gives them the necessary carbohydrates and fiber which is essential for them.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #20 
starrlamia
Member
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Corn, wheat are important parts of the food. It's a myth that it's crap and shouldn't be in the food. It gives them the necessary carbohydrates and fiber which is essential for them.
Dogs dont need carbs to thrive, they turn protein and fat into energy sources (and are in fact better energy sources then carbs). They also dont need the fibre.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it okay that my Betta dosen't eat his food and instead he eats tropical fish food? Alienbetta1 Betta Fish Care 12 07-25-2012 05:24 PM
How To Keep Tetras From Eating Betta Food/ Bettas Eating Tetra Food? bloo97 Betta Fish Compatibility 30 07-24-2010 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.