Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 
WoodenFlashlight

Exclamation No idea what's wrong! Please help!

Alright, we got new Bettas and we've had them for four days now and two of them have been displaying odd symptoms that aren't really lining up with anything we've read on- and we've read on everything.

First we have our currently unnamed fish, he's been darting around the tank erratically but he doesn't seem to be trying to rub himself on anything. Nothing seems to set him off, he just does it. It almost looks like he's trying to jump, which we've been told is because of a water problem. But we've also been told that Betta just jump.

They are both in a half-gallon split tank [It's temporary, we haven't gotten their real tanks set up yet.] and the splitter has holes, so they share the water. We changed their water 100% yesterday because they didn't like the flakes we gave them, so it muddied up the water. They were fine before that. I'd like to mention that we forgot to put Aquarium salts in this water [My roommate changed it so I wasn't paying attention] but our third in a seperate tank has had no ill effects.

Would it be safe to change their water again, maybe 50%, and replace it with Aquarium Salted water with PH leveler, Stresscoat+, and anti-bacterial solution MELAFIX [less than 1/32nd of a tablespoon in the one gallon of treated water] or what?

I have a video of their behavior, Pangur Ban, the other Betta, is behaving normally, though he has a little something on his bum. He had a poo that was dragging the other day for several hours, and then today he had a little fuzzy whit bit on his bum. My roommate said it looked "pointed" this morning, but I never saw it. The fuzz is still slightly there, but it's either dropped or been rubbed off over the course of the day. We've very, very scared it might be fungus because we lost a fish to that last week because we didn't catch it early enough.

I'm not sure if I can upload a video, but my fish is erratically darting around his tank, then he'll slow down and sit near the surface and just sit there for a while, then he'll go back to darting.

We're thinking of treating the whole tank with Quick Cure, but since it's a half gallon we're still not sure how to give them the proper dosage because it calls for one drop per gallon. Suggestions on how we should take care of this? We're worried he might have very early ICK or Velvet, and we want to catch it now.

Since they share water, we want to treat them both. The tank that they're in is our half-gallon hospital tank, but we haven't gotten their proper tanks yet and we're testing their behaviors for a possible community tank with other types of fish later.

Please help, we're incredibly worried that something is happening to them. MY roommate has confirmed that it appears to her than my nameless darter fish is trying to rub his FACE on things, but not any other part of his body. She says that his face looks odd in comparison to the rest of his body; "raw" is the word she used, like he had scrubbed it raw. The scales are perfectly fine, but his face just looks like a person having rubbed their face raw. In which case, he had this when we got him!

Anyway, I just got information that Pangur's pointed bum is a symptom that another user had with their fish and they died from it; from feeding them black worms. We have not fed them the worms in three days. I'd like to rehash that his little bum is back to normal.

And, one more thing we're also worried about; our third that we bought at the same time we got the other two, is Crum Cruach, and he's got a thin black rim around the edge of his fins. We can't tell if his fins are getting smaller, we don't THINK so, it really really doesn't look like it, but we've seen photos of fin rot and the outline of the fins is black. Here's some photos of him the day we got him:

And here is today:

Also, here is the nameless fish:

The day we got him.
WoodenFlashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

do they have a heater? and are you using water conditioner?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 
cjconcepcion

also please fill this out, it would help us figure out the problem :)
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 
WoodenFlashlight

Thank you! I looked for that but couldn't find it. I'll save it now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon. Temporary tank.
What temperature is your tank? Unknown. We can't use a heater on such a small tank.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, but the tank is split so they share water.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets. We were feeding them black worms live until three days ago.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 20% every week. 100% if the water is murky.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Salted water with PH leveler, Stresscoat+, and anti-bacterial solution MELAFIX [less than 1/32nd of a tablespoon in the one gallon of treated water]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No. We had it treated the day we bought the fish, four days ago. Everything was in the clear, ammonia was very narrowly higher than normal but everything else was in perfect condition according to the tests we did at the store.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Direct to post.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, direct to post.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, but we're going to change their water 50%-75% with treated water with Quick Cure.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? We just got them.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

if i were you i would separate them right away, even if it means putting one of them in the container you got them in from the petstore, you have to do more water changes, for a 1/2 gallon that is split i would do 20-30% every day, and you really really should get some water conditioner, its more beneficial that aq salt and stresscoat and is an absolute necessity, even though the aq salt says it conditions the water, it dosent remove harmful toxins, like chlorine, chloramine, ammonia etc. a good conditioner to invest in is called seachem prime, i find it works the best, and it also gives you the most for your money compared to other conditioners because its super concentrated
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #6 
cjconcepcion

im not very experienced with fish diseases, but the betta in the first few pics with the red fins does look like he has a very slight case of beginning fin rot, certainly not something that needs to be treated with antibiotics, very clean water should do the trick, a tiny bit of aq salt will help there too. just make sure youre keeping them in the warmest place of your house if you cant get a heater, i understand that this is a temporary tank, but ive managed to find a heater that heats 1/2 to 2 gallon tanks for my hospital tank
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 
WoodenFlashlight

I'm sure heats like that do exist, but not anywhere near us. We have one local petstore and they don't have anything good, they sold us these fish as they are now, and the walmart, the smallest heater they had was for 2-15 gallons.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi Wooden. First, the red boy. He looks very lovely. A lot of fish of that coloring have black edgings on their fins naturally. Keep an eye on him and if the fins stay the same, it's natural. But if the fins start to look raggedy or the black spreads and the fins disintegrate rapidly, it's fin rot and he'll need AQ salt at a dose of 1 tsp per gallon. For now though, just clean water should be fine for him.

For the one who is darting and rubbing. This is a sign of external parasites. Look closely. Does he look like he is sprinkled with salt? You would see little white speckles all over. Or does he look like he is sprinkled with gold dust? Same thing, but the gold speckles would be a bit smaller. If no to either, then his external parasites are most likely skin flukes which are invisible. For him, the treatment is also AQ salt at a dose of 3 tsps per gallon and daily 100% water changes for a week to remove parasites that fall off.

And finally, for your guy who had the pointed stomach. I'm really glad he was able to pass his blockage. :) He should be okay now but if he shows any other signs of digestive difficulties, he can go in 1 tsp of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate, found in the drug section of any grocery store or Wal-Mart) per gallon for a few days. Epsom salt is a laxative so it helps them that way.

Just FYI, you don't need to add AQ salt to the water on a regular basis. It's best to only use salt when the fish is sick, as long-term exposure to saltwater can cause damage to their liver/kidney.

Since the two boys are sharing a 1/2 gal tank, you probably want to do at least 50% water changes every day or every other day. One thing you can do is get a shoebox-sized Rubbermaid bin at Wal-Mart for one of them to live in until he gets a permanent tank. Most likely it's warm enough for you that they can go without heaters for a few weeks.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 
WoodenFlashlight

Thank you so much! We were donging if Quick Cure would be alright to use on them. Since they share the water, would it be safe to treat them both? It may have already spread to Pangur from his tank-mate. We will probably get something akin to that so that we can easily get everybody because they are a pain to catch in their tiny split tank.

Thank you! We just wanted to check on the Quick Cure, to see if that would work, or if we should just go with your plan, both of which we can easily do. Thank you again so much for replying, Sakura~!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #10 
littlegreen

A HUGE part of it is probably just the stress from being in such a small tank. : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice, unknown diseases