Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Thanks Fabian and copperarabian! My pond is about 4000 US gallons. We've never had it measured, but that was the estimate of the man who installed it. I've attached another picture of the entire pond system. The waterfall is about 3 feet tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Izzy, how big did your dojo get? I've had my two since March and they're maybe 5-6" long right now in a 29gal. I've heard they can get pretty big but while mine are growing, they aren't growing very fast.
Mine got about 10 inches long in the 29 gal before I realized that I needed to find them a larger home. They certainly didn't grow very fast, but they did grow pretty large. I've heard they can get as large as 12 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Do you like Pokemon? It's because of your Goldfishs' Names...
Caught me there! I'm a big pokemon fan. My newest goldfish is named Magikarp :P
Attached Images

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #12 
Fabian

Quote:
Aww the red eyes tetras are so cute c:
I don't like red eye tetras,they keep chasing each other.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #13 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I don't like red eye tetras,they keep chasing each other.
They have a pecking order and often chase and nip one another, if you have a proper school it's a natural thing for them to do. If the school isn't big enough they sometimes will start chasing other fish and nipping them. I don't mind them chasing each other, I never see any torn fins and it makes them interesting to watch for me.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Here's my striatum male (killifish). This is an old photo but shows off his colour really well.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #15 
Sakura8

He's beautiful, LBF. :)

Izzy, do you think the 29gal is too small? It might be a year before I can get a bigger thank, will they be okay until then?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

He's a beauty, LBF. I really do think that the killies don't get enough attention. Some of them rival marine fish in their colors.

Sakura, I did have my big guys in a 29 gal for about a year before I came to grips with the fact that I needed to upgrade them. I had one with a band of black across his eyes; he was so cute. With regular water changes, it's not the end of the world, but they will be bouncing off the sides. I know mine did.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #17 
Sakura8

They already do, when I reach in. I can hear the gravel clinking as they careen all over. Sigh. I've heard so many conflicting things about tank sizes for dojos. 20gal is okay, no it must be no smaller than a 50gal, no it must be 100gal . . .

I hate to give them up, I love them but I'm also worried about them. They're in the garage and in the winter it was great, the water stayed just right in the mid 60's. But now that it's summer, the water is almost 80. :( A few weeks ago when the temp was 108, they got up to 82. Much too warm for them.

Need two more 55gals . . .
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Ya. There do seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions out there about them. That's why I'm glad I found a smaller, tropical alternative: kuhli loaches! ^-^ They look just like dojos but are like 1/5 the size.

Here's a strange thought: how would you feel about having them in with the koi? They can actually be a pond fish in certain areas. They are actually illegal in some states because they can survive in the local waterways.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #19 
Sakura8

If the koi don't mind, I wouldn't mind. I might wait until they're just a tad bigger but that's a thought. Right now, they seem more or less content in the 29gal, as long as I don't spook them with water changes. Then they go bouncing all over. Most of the time, they drape themselves in the plants. They look like they got stranded there after the tide went out, haha. Thanks, Izzy. :)

EDIT:
Kuhli loaches!!!

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #20 
thekoimaiden

Yay! I think we found a solution that doesn't involve you buying another tank or giving them away. I remember my dojos loved to drape themselves over the plants. The java fern was their favorite.

Aren't they adorable? I want to have a tank stuffed full of those little guys (lol and I will when I can find a local supplier). If there was ever a fish I would want to breed; it's those guys. Have you seen pictures of the babies?

Also this picture is just too cute not to add: