Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #1 
FrostSinth

'12 Summer Spawning

So I figured I'd start a thread for my pet store bettas I'm breeding. I've already been conditioning the boys and girls for about two weeks and my new brine shrimp babies are almost ready to be made into a sustainable culture.

These two pairs are being bred for a local pet store who I have thoroughly checked out; they really know their stuff and they have the cliental to get the fish out there in the right homes.

The first pair is my male HM Hephaestus, and my female VT Aphrodite. Hephaestus is marbled with green, red, white, and some other splashes. Aphrodite is marbled purple. I'm aware of the overflowing amount of VT fry I'll get from this breeding, but since they are going to a store and to my own personal VT breeding program, I don't mind. I'll be putting Aphrodite in Hephaestus' view at the end of this coming week. Really excited about these fry, I think their colors will be beautiful!

The second pair is my male DT Uther and my female VT Halia. Uther is mostly a lovely navy blue, with white ends on his fins, and Halia is mostly blue/dark purple with red streaks in her fins. I don't have good pictures of this pair yet. Hoping for a few DTs, but healthy and colorful VTs is fine too. I'll be putting Halia in view of Uther after Aphrodite has been removed from Hephaestus' tank.

I'll keep you all as posted as possible, and for you all I'll give you up to 4 fry from either spawning for free if you pay shipping (since I know you'll take good care of them). Reserve now because the first dozen to two dozen of these spawn are claimed by the Fish Nook (the store I'm selling them to).

First entry for spawning; June 30th, 2012
Pairs chosen and conditioning
introductions/spawning scheduled

Hephaestus

Aphrodite
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan...look forward to following your spawn log....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 
dbooknook

Wow...these are beautiful fishies!
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #4 
FrostSinth

July 1st;
End of second week of conditioning
Just waiting for the new BBS to hatch before going ahead; should hatch tonight

I got pictures of Uther (DT male) and of Halia's look-alike Calypso (VT Female). Halia refused to pose but Caly looks almost identical to her, just a bit bigger.

Calypso (Halia's twin) with Hera behind:

Uther, DT male, when I first got him:
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostSinth View Post
July 1st;
End of second week of conditioning
Just waiting for the new BBS to hatch before going ahead; should hatch tonight

You won't need the bbs until a couple days after spawning. They need to spawn, then the eggs hatch, then they need to be free swimming. That can take from 3 to 4 days or longer. BBS hatch in about 15 hours depending on temp.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 
FrostSinth

^ I'll be starting another batch of bbs once the pairs have spawned, this set is for the mom/dad to keep their energy up just before I introduce them. Right now they just have freeze/dried foods so I wanted to give them a little something extra, sort of flushing them out for last chances.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It is a good idea to practice hatching the BBS too-If anything- to make sure you have a fresh batch of eggs and that you don't have any issues with your water-as well as to see how long it will take to get a good hatch on the BBS.

When BBS is going to be your only live food source for the Betta fry-you want to feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact for best nutrition for the fry-otherwise due to the limited HUFA you can have health problems with the Betta fry as well as sudden death issues due to poor nutrition.

I like to have 2 hatcheries going 24h apart for the first 2-3 weeks after free swimming-then I will supplement the older BBS with an HUFA supplement-like Silcon.

I also like to cover my fry tank with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity over the water for when the labyrinth organ starts to develop in the 2-5 week range-That first breath of air when too cool/dry can cause health issues like belly sliders, buoyancy issues and sudden mass die off.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 
FrostSinth

July 3rd 2012
the BBS hatched so I put Hephaestus (HM male) in the spawning tank with Aphrodite (VT female) in the breeding trap. I hate to leave her in too long, but for now I'm waiting for Hephaestus to calm down a bit. I see a few bubbles that he made, but nothing nesty
I plan to wait until tomorrow morning to release Aphrodite in with Hephaestus, hoping he'll make a nest. She looks more than ready, but he seems a tad aggressive for my tastes
Hopefully it'll be a quick in and out tomorrow so Aphrodite can go back to recovery and then the sorority.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 
FrostSinth

July 4th
Hephaestus built a HUGE nest overnight, takes up almost half the tank. Bigger than any he's built before.
I have a few errands to run and then I'll be introducing them, here's hoping his skills go beyond just making bubbles haha